Is it safe to install Growl?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hajime, Jun 1, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I updated to 10.6.7 yesterday. This morning, a small transparent window appeared on the top right of the screen saying that Growl-1.2.2 is available for update. With the MacDefender situation, it is better to be careful. From searching the internet, I found that it is kind of a notification system. I am not sure if the source of the program is reliable. Is it safe to install it? About every month, I receive notification that a new version of this software is available.

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I installed it.. no malware..

3. simsaladimbamba

It is safe to install, otherwise there would be dozens of threads about this.

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, Growl is legit, though it is sometimes installed by software without you being notified, which is not ok with the developers, so you should contact whoever is including it with their software and let them know they need to notify you as a user and give you the choice other whether or not to install it. One of the programs that does this, I believe, is DropBox, so if you recently installed that, it probably came with it.

Regardless, it doesn't do any harm, and I enjoy having it on my system, but it's up to you whether you want it.

jW