Is it safe to install iOS 8 GM?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by geeshiet, Sep 11, 2014.

1. geeshiet macrumors member

New to the iphone world but i was wondering if it is safe to install ios 8 GM on my 5s? I am not a developer btw.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's up to you to define 'safe' but we can definitely say that upgrading this week is the same thing as upgrading next week.

So if you end up deciding that the GM isn't safe enough for you then you should wait until 8.0.1 comes out at some future point.

3. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Yes, it is safe. This week's GM is the same thing that will be released on Wednesday.

4. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I installed it a few days ago on my 5s. There have been a few glitches I have noticed in certain apps, but those apps haven't been updated yet for 8.0 so that is to be expected. The performance is as good or better than when I was running 7.1.2. A few times the phone has "resprung" when I was using Safari. Battery life seems to be about the same. Your experience might differ depending on what apps you run.

Definitely do a backup first if you decide to install the iOS 8 GM. Then if you find it is too unstable or certain apps you need do behave because they haven't been updated for 8.0 you can go back to 7.1.2.

However, you might just want to wait for the release in 6 days and after many developers have submitted their app updates.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

iOS 8 GM is stable. I have not experienced or read about it (in and of itself) crashing anyone's iPhone or iPad. Some apps not working properly is the experience for many (including myself).

6. geeshiet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies, and i also haven't heard anyones iPhones crashing so I probably will download and install iOS 8. My only concern is that some people are stating that it is the final build update for developers.. And some stating it isn't. A little bit confused but i will still install it and and give feedback.

7. sunsetblow macrumors regular

sunsetblow

No. No it's not safe. It will literally melt your phone into a puddle of metal goop. That's why they call it a Golden Master.

8. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

This iOS 8 GM is exactly what is being installed on all new manufactured iPhone 6 models that will be in consumer hands next Friday.

It can't get any safer than that.

9. Bcarraher macrumors member

Bcarraher

Do you have a download link that doesn't require a dev account? TIA

10. taedouni macrumors 65816

It won't blow up your phone, or leak all of your private information to criminals so yes it is safe. Is it stable? It feels stable for me. Some third party apps may not play nice until they are updated.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

GM can only be legally obtained through the developer portal. Obtaining it otherwise isn't something that is discussed here.

12. dieselboy27 macrumors member

It's perfectly safe. install and enjoy. Looking forward to all the ios 8 app updates next week.

13. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I installed it on my iphone 5, no real issues with it operating. However, it erased all the content from my phone (apps) for some reason so I have had to redownload these. For that reason I will upgrade my ipad next week, don't want to have to redownload apps as some have over 2gb of data that can't be backed up on a traditional back up.

So its safe to use but naturally things can go wrong, as they have for some here, but in general its pretty strait forward.

14. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Every year we go through this. GM is usually the final release. It's also released a week earlier to developers. This will be no different than what is released OTA on Wednesday. If you truly are scared because you are unsure, wait until Wednesday. It's just an update.

15. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

I've had no issues with the GM other than battery life. But I am sure that will get sorted.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Do it now if you're ready. The majority of apps should be compatible.

17. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

It's fine. You will probably have some app issues though until they all get upgraded for iOS 8

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Been using it on my everyday phone for the last 1.5 days and haven't had issues.

19. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Every single beta, up to and including beta 5, was horrible for me on my iPhone 5. Several apps were either unbearably slow or didn't work at all. Never mind the OS itself lagging.

And yet the GM is near perfect for me. All my apps work perfectly, and the OS runs almost as well as 7.1.2.

20. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

It's safe, but extremely buggy. I wouldn't recommend it.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you're getting it from Apple, it's probably not "safe."

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

A tad bit, yes, but more so laggy then 7.1.2.

23. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

thumbs down on the iphone 5. way too many bugs from voicemails to control center to app performance. No thanks try again, Apple.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems fine on iPhone 5 here.

----------

No more or less safe really.

25. skyperbon macrumors regular

The GM is very stable than the Betas(that's why it's beta) that I've been using on my 5. Except for the phone getting hot occasionally because of continuous use, I didn't find much problems.

Most of the apps seem to be working and some that are not have yet to be updated for iOS8.

Go ahead! Update it to 8.