Is it safe to install iOS 8 GM?

geeshiet

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
New to the iphone world but i was wondering if it is safe to install ios 8 GM on my 5s? I am not a developer btw.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's up to you to define 'safe' but we can definitely say that upgrading this week is the same thing as upgrading next week.

So if you end up deciding that the GM isn't safe enough for you then you should wait until 8.0.1 comes out at some future point.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
New to the iphone world but i was wondering if it is safe to install ios 8 GM on my 5s? I am not a developer btw.
I installed it a few days ago on my 5s. There have been a few glitches I have noticed in certain apps, but those apps haven't been updated yet for 8.0 so that is to be expected. The performance is as good or better than when I was running 7.1.2. A few times the phone has "resprung" when I was using Safari. Battery life seems to be about the same. Your experience might differ depending on what apps you run.

Definitely do a backup first if you decide to install the iOS 8 GM. Then if you find it is too unstable or certain apps you need do behave because they haven't been updated for 8.0 you can go back to 7.1.2.

However, you might just want to wait for the release in 6 days and after many developers have submitted their app updates.

geeshiet

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, and i also haven't heard anyones iPhones crashing so I probably will download and install iOS 8. My only concern is that some people are stating that it is the final build update for developers.. And some stating it isn't. A little bit confused but i will still install it and and give feedback.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
No. No it's not safe. It will literally melt your phone into a puddle of metal goop. That's why they call it a Golden Master.

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This iOS 8 GM is exactly what is being installed on all new manufactured iPhone 6 models that will be in consumer hands next Friday.

It can't get any safer than that.

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for all the replies, and i also haven't heard anyones iPhones crashing so I probably will download and install iOS 8. My only concern is that some people are stating that it is the final build update for developers.. And some stating it isn't. A little bit confused but i will still install it and and give feedback.
Do you have a download link that doesn't require a dev account? TIA

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
It won't blow up your phone, or leak all of your private information to criminals so yes it is safe. Is it stable? It feels stable for me. Some third party apps may not play nice until they are updated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you have a download link that doesn't require a dev account? TIA
GM can only be legally obtained through the developer portal. Obtaining it otherwise isn't something that is discussed here.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
I installed it on my iphone 5, no real issues with it operating. However, it erased all the content from my phone (apps) for some reason so I have had to redownload these. For that reason I will upgrade my ipad next week, don't want to have to redownload apps as some have over 2gb of data that can't be backed up on a traditional back up.

So its safe to use but naturally things can go wrong, as they have for some here, but in general its pretty strait forward.

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Every year we go through this. GM is usually the final release. It's also released a week earlier to developers. This will be no different than what is released OTA on Wednesday. If you truly are scared because you are unsure, wait until Wednesday. It's just an update.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
It's fine. You will probably have some app issues though until they all get upgraded for iOS 8

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Every single beta, up to and including beta 5, was horrible for me on my iPhone 5. Several apps were either unbearably slow or didn't work at all. Never mind the OS itself lagging.

And yet the GM is near perfect for me. All my apps work perfectly, and the OS runs almost as well as 7.1.2.

DcGamer05

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Danbury CT
thumbs down on the iphone 5. way too many bugs from voicemails to control center to app performance. No thanks try again, Apple.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
The GM is very stable than the Betas(that's why it's beta) that I've been using on my 5. Except for the phone getting hot occasionally because of continuous use, I didn't find much problems.

Most of the apps seem to be working and some that are not have yet to be updated for iOS8.

Go ahead! Update it to 8.