Is it safe to install Leopard yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machomer, Jan 25, 2008.

1. machomer macrumors regular

Should I install Leopard now? I am a student, and I run VMware for windows, but afraid of upgrading to Leopard and having problems. I know it still has some kinks, but not sure how big these kinks are.

What known issues are still there?

Thanks,

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

None that are really drastic. What system are you using? That'd help a lot if I knew.

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

It is safe. Just make sure that before you install leopard you delete any APE related product in your machine.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It'll never be safe. Just like it's never safe to buy anything at any time.
    It's not going to make your Mac explode or anything.
    Do you have a specific issue your afraid of? Or just being dramatic?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes there are still people with issues but i whould'nt
    stop upgrading to leopard(you dont hear from the
    god knows how many who think leopard rocks)most
    of problems should be addressed in 10.5.2 which hopefully aint to far away

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It seems to me that the only way to find out is to install it on your machine-make backups first.

My brother in law's 20" 2.4 iMac works fine with Leopard, where as mine has some serious issues.:( My MBP runs on it fine:), while my friends doesn't.

7. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Don't worry it's not like Vista ;)

Remove any "haxies", those are what cause the blue screen things. Better still if you want to be sure, do an archive&install as this will keep all your documents/apps/settings etc anyway. Should be fine. If you want the best experience right off the bat wait for 10.5.2 (due within days)

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Actually, it's Apple's inability to write proper code and develop proper drivers for all the hardware that cause the blue screens - I never had any hacks installed.

Oh, and I'm in the same boat as these guys on the airport issue. No need to think Leopard isn't perfect though.:rolleyes:

9. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

It's probably not perfect. I'm no fanboy. In my experience though it's been absolutely fine, not a single bluescreen or kernel panic since I bought it. YMMV...

I still don't think the majority of people have suffered Vista-levels of problems with it :p

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That's what I'm trying to get across - it's been a hit or miss thing for a lot of people on the same machines with no rhyme nor reason to it (My iMac has the same setup as yours and was bought on Oct. 7 - but Leopard seriously disabled it-one blue screen during install, and two kernal panics later I gave up on Leopard and went back to Tiger without a problem).

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If Tiger's working perfectly and you decide to fix it with Leopard, you deserve everything you get! :D
    I'll never understand what drives people to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Why mess with a good thing?

12. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Umm, maybe we like the new features? I had an iMac working perfectly with OS9, why upgrade?:rolleyes:

13. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I had a number of very minor but annoying problems when I upgraded, so after a couple of weeks I did a clean install. So far it seems to have done the trick... before my dock would disappear if I played a dvd on full screen and then quit the dvd application... other things... All in all I think Leopard (after the clean install) is pretty solid. NOTE: I did have some haxies for Tiger; maybe that caused some of the bugs.

14. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I must admit, I'm with those who'd rather hold off. If Tiger does everything you need, then why change? It is fine to change to something BETTER, but at this juncture, for many Leopard is NOT better than Tiger. Now, maybe in the future (maybe after 10.5.2?) Leopard WILL be better, but for now, why mess with a good thing? The airport situation alone would dissuade me from downgrading to Leopard.

If I were you, I'd wait at least until 10.5.2 reviews roll in - if this fixes the problems so that it becomes at least as stable as Tiger 10.4.11 is for most people, then it's time to think about upgrading.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you upgrade because you want something in the newer OS that isn't available in the old OS, that's all the reason you need. By definition, that wouldn't be upgrading for the sake of upgrading. In the OP's case however, there doesn't seem to be any precise *need* for him to upgrade. Perhaps I missed where he mentioned why he wanted Leopard?

16. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

I am currently using Tiger on Macbook Pro. I am using VMWare to run Vista and I use the MS office suite for school. Some posts look like people are getting problems. I am not computer guru, so I want to know if installing Leopard will cause me any headaches.

I guess I can back up all of my files on another hard drive. Someone mentioned backing up the system? Anyone else recommend that and what free program?

Thanks

17. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It's totally safe except for wifi. If you depend on connecting wirelessly to wifi / airport networks, then I'd suggest waiting until 10.5.2 which should be out any day now. Other than the MAJOR wifi problems that many people are encountering, leopard is a totally awesome upgrade with a zillion super useful features that you'll instantly wonder how you worked without them.

18. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

There are also MAJOR problems getting many apps to work (at all) if you are behind a proxy - even hard wired.

19. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

This is the first I've read about the wifi problems. I'm running leopard and haven't had a hiccup with anything. Can you link me to some info on those wifi problems? (I'm not doubting you; I just like to be aware of mac issues).

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Mine has wifi problems. At home, I use an aiport extreme and it works great. At my gf's house, they use a netgear I believe and my macbook constantly drops the connection. None of windows computers they use or my iPhone have that problem so I know it's not the network. I have to turn off airport and turn it back on every 10 minutes or so. It's a pain to surf the web at her house for me.

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Just search the forums for thread titles that have the words airport and leopard in them. Heck, just read the stories on the front page of macrumors and you'll see that articles about how 10.5.2 will or will not fix the airport issues.

22. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

As soon as 10.5.2 comes around, you'll be fine.

AirPort backup won't be fixed, that's why they came out with their half-arsed TimeCapsule :)