is it safe to just put the hard drive straight into my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SilentLoner, Sep 18, 2008.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have a replacement HD and I put it straight into my macbook without the metal cover that houses the original hd. Is this safe to do so?

Also its a Western Digital hard drive and it seems to be running hot, however I have started to use parallels which I dont think is running at this time. Is there anyway I can check if it is running?

2. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

At a glance now my CPU A is at 55 degrees and that the warmest. the coldest is 30 degrees. My hard drive is the second coolest. with heatsinks at 51 degrees. Anyone help I dont want to blow my macbook.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Your temperatures are fine.........

Problem with the hard-drive though - without the caddy it will be almost impossible to remove it without removing the topcase first. I take it you did not have a torx screwdriver handy when you did it ?

The hard disk sits on rubber guides and act as a shock-absorber for the disk - it is better to have this. Your MacBook will be ok without the caddy but is better (much) to keep it.......

4. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

You'll need a T8 torx to be specific. I'd really suggest putting it on ur hdd. new harddrive > $4 torx screwdriver