Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
I'm wondering if I was to buy 2 16GB sticks from Crucial for ~$440 and then use them along side 2 of the stock 4GB sticks that the base model comes with.

Is this a no-no?

Then in the future if I want 64GB, I can just buy 2 more Crucial 16GB sticks and remove the 2 4GB sticks.

That would start me off at 40GB at about the same cost as Apple's 32GB upgrade and with future option to expand to 64GB for another $440 (or less if prices drop) instead of having to pay $800 in the future if I had 4x8GB sticks in there.

Need help if this is feasible or a no-no.

Thanks

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I would wait and see what manufacturer made the modules in your new model before buying them.

If they are Micron sticks then go for the Crucial pair as they will be the same!

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
I would wait and see what manufacturer made the modules in your new model before buying them.

If they are Micron sticks then go for the Crucial pair as they will be the same!

Okay thanks. Hopefully info will become available soon from some tear downs.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
So until we hear more about the actual brands being used, is it safe to infer that using mismatched suppliers is a bad thing to do? How about mismatched sizes? Will it still be okay to run 2x4GB and 2x16GB if the suppliers match up?

Thanks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm wondering if I was to buy 2 16GB sticks from Crucial for ~$440 and then use them along side 2 of the stock 4GB sticks that the base model comes with.

Is this a no-no?

The warning is plain as day right there on the Crucial web page that it is a "no-no". It has nothing to do with manufactures and everything to do with Apple's stock 4GB DIMMs being extremely probable unbuffered DIMMs and the Crucial DIMMs being registered DIMMs. They don't mix.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
The warning is plain as day right there on the Crucial web page that it is a "no-no". It has nothing to do with manufactures and everything to do with Apple's stock 4GB DIMMs being extremely probable unbuffered DIMMs and the Crucial DIMMs being registered DIMMs. They don't mix.

OK. thanks so it isn't a good idea no matter what then. Is there any issue of just running 2x16GB sticks and leaving the other 2 slots empty?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
OK. thanks so it isn't a good idea no matter what then. Is there any issue of just running 2x16GB sticks and leaving the other 2 slots empty?

Very low percentage slower in some cases. It isn't a huge deal if save up and buy more in a reasonable amount of time.

I suspect there should be some registered DIMM 8GBs show up. So if find out really don't need to jump to 64GB , you can move to 48GB which can be "good enough" for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.