Is it safe to move MBP while in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2Turbo, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Is it safe to put a MBP (w/SSD + HDD) into a backpack or just carry it around while in sleep mode? Or do I need to hibernate or shutdown to prevent any problems?

2. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

3. simsaladimbamba

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

To be safe, you should always fully power it off. However I've been throwing my MBP around for years in cars, trains buses and so, just with the lid shut. Haven't had any problem so far.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely not true. The HDD isn't powered, so there is no reason to shut down. Just make sure the light is pulsing before moving it.

6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Exactly. I've been doing this for YEARS, never had any issue whatsoever.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I've hardly ever turned my laptop off. I just presumed its safer to do so. If it makes no difference then I've learnt something new tonight :) Thanks mate

8. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I always move my laptop when in sleep mode. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry and just have to go from room to room I don't even bother closing the lid and still move it around. All is good.

9. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have used Mac laptops for 8 years, a Powerbook G4, a Macbook Pro, and a Macbook Air. I have always left them in sleep mode while travelling, sometimes over long distances, and have never had the slightest problem. If my experience is any guide, it is not necessary to turn off an MBP before travelling with it.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I carry my MBP with me to school everyday in my backpack like any other binder or folder....its always closed and in sleep mode and thus far I haven't had any troubles what so ever. Advice for backpacks though is sandwich the computer between two binders or folders so if theres any trauma to the back pack your MBP isn't hurt. Had my bag kicked once panicked but my "sandwich" plan worked pretty well. Needless to say I now carry my backpack very tightly.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Shut the lid to sleep.

WAIT until sleep light is "breathing" (dim / bright / dim / bright), then you are safe to move.

Wrong. Movement does not wake up a Mac.

Wrong No need to power off.

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I read this and wanted to upvote... but I realized I couldn't.. so yeah.

13. dime21 macrumors 6502

Sigh, I guess you didn't get the joke. You must be fun at parties. :rolleyes:

14. kushed macrumors regular

^^^ hahahaha

but seriously my friend scratched his HDD and it ruined it.
    It was a 2007 Santa Rose white macbook? if that has anything to do with it? i never turn mine off when going in between classes, i do power it off when going to school and leaving. actually not when leaving just going there to conserve battery. that was with my 13 uMB i dont care about the 15 i have now i have at max 4 hours of classes a day so i literally couldnt drain it everyday unless i really REALLY tried, and by trying so hard i wouldnt be paying any attention in class haha

15. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

What if the MacBook Pro "wakes up" at a party, then what? :D Lager, Stout, or IPA? LOL

16. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

Jesus christ, this thread is on par with the 'my mac is getting heavier' thread.

17. nateo200, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Link? And my MBP sits on my bed when I sleep thanks to my messy room and my need to instantly use the computer when I wake up. So far when I've gotten up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night it has not been disturbed, just move slow and don't slam the door. :D:D;)

18. Messy macrumors 6502

Do you not have a sense of humour?

19. shiunn macrumors 6502

surely he's joking too ;)