Is it safe to never turn off a Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk3pt1c, Jul 15, 2014.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Given that the only moving parts are the fans, is it safe to just put it to sleep when I want to take it from home to work etc? For short distances that won't affect the battery life at all?

Or is there something I'm missing that will cause it to deteriorate if I keep doing this?

Wil the OS get more sluggish?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've kept mine on most of the time, its over 2 years old. If you're worried, set the sleep timer, so it goes into sleep after x hours.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

I'm mostly concerned about moving it from one place to the next, not when it's sitting at home, I never turn it off then.

I mean, it takes me 20mins tops to get from home to anywhere in Athens where I live, is there a point in turning it off rather than just closing the lid and going?

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I travel with mine and never shut it down, just shut the lid. At the moment, it's at 14 days uptime, and working fine.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Awesome, thanks!!!

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No problem. I usually restart once every month (or with OS upgrades), as sometimes there are small problems that can build up, but it's mostly due to third party apps I install. Though travelling with the lid shut should be perfectly fine!

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If it is asleep the fans should not be running.
    If it is on (aka not asleep) with the fans running you shouldn't put it into a bag. Unless you changed something with terminal or have some serious bug closing the lid should always put it to sleep.

Sleeping for any amount is fine. If it stays asleep for very long, it will shut off completely and restore from the hibernation file. You only notice this in slower wake up.
    I never completely shut off mine. Only restart for updates when I have to.

8. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Seems to be the consensus so far, so I'm following that. It just felt stupid to turn it off when there are no moving parts and it takes me 20 mins tops to get to work.

----------

care to elaborate on the small problems?

9. leman macrumors 604

I don't believe I have ever turned mine off, save for mandatory restarts when updating and booting Windows. When it's in deep sleep mode, it is essentially off anyway.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

For example FCP 7 doesn't really like it when your system's not been restarted for more than a few days. It beachballs a lot and often crashes. That's the most common reason I restart, but once or twice the sound hasn't been working properly, iTunes didn't launch, a message won't go away etc.

Apart from OS upgrades or due to FCP 7, I probably restart it 4-5 times a year because of one small problem. It's never anything major.