Is it safe to play Games on MB Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mtnsaray, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mtnsaray macrumors newbie

Yes it is playable but, is it safe to play games on MB Air? I have i7 2011 mb air and played Minecraft once, the voice of the fans and the heat just scared the hell out of me. It was like it couldn't handle the process and it could just die any second... My question is, is it safe to play games on MB Air? For example i am psyched about Diablo 3 and i know my mb air can support it, at least can run it, but what about the heat and fan capability? Should i be prepared for blackout any second?

Appreciate your advice,
    Thanks,
    Metin.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's safe. It will get hot, but I wouldn't worry about overheating. I wouldn't play with it on your lap though.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

4. mtnsaray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the detailed info. I was thinking about getting a cooler or something. If i shouldn't worry when playing Diablo 3, then i won't. Because due to its' design, MBA seems very fragile and it doesn't give any clue about how much pressure it can take.

5. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Can i say something? not trying to be a pain in the butt or anything but at least for the 2011 macbook air, the fan stays at 2000rpm. ;)

To the OP: Just like GGJ said, your mac can handle it. you will not damage it, there are many precautions in place to keep the mac from hitting even the max temp when it cuts off.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fan will spin faster if it needs to, up to around 6000 rpm.

7. anirudh macrumors 6502

If you game regularoy, then sure, get a cooler.. You Air will thank you :) That being said, even not having one wont 'damage' your system. Macs or for that matter all modern systems automatically shut down or throttle down the cpu clock speed if it gets beyond a threshold temperature. So nothing to worry there.