Is it safe to post Mac's account name publicly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Merbert, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Merbert macrumors newbie

Is there any security risk if people in forums see (when I use screencaps to show problems)
    what is the name of my Mac user account and folder name (it is same, but not my full real name)
    The one I use to log into computer, not the Apple one.

Could this knowledge be used against me? I didn't bother photoshopping it off from some screenshots, but now I got worried. I rather not go and start changing it either.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No
    Not a security issue, except locally on your own network, I suppose.

3. Merbert thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be if I had more computers attached to this one? I have only one Mac in this apartment on Ethernet cable.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your ethernet connects somewhere to a router. That router makes your local network, such as it is.
    If the only computers that are connected are under your control, then you have no need for concern.

If your wireless card is on, do you see other wireless networks, even though you cannot connect to them?
    An apartment building might have dozens of visible wireless connections (and others that may be hidden from you), so if you don't use wireless, it's a reasonable idea to leave your wireless card turned off.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Not unless it is part of your password you use for other things.