Is it safe to provide the password when asked by freeware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hajime, Jun 3, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I installed OnyX to improve my system's performance. When I tried to use it, a window showed up asking me to enter the password. The window is different from the one that I normally see during installation. Is it safe to enter the password? In general, can hackers use freeware to collect password from the users? If so, how can we tell whether or not to enter the password? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's always a good idea to be cautious when entering your admin password. Onyx is safe. If in doubt about any particular app, search the forum with MRoogle to see what others are saying about that app. If they're recommending it here and you get it from a reputable source, you're ok.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is ONYX asking you for permission to do its thing, which is accessing system files and folders, thus a password is required.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Onyx has to be able to access your system files to work. Onyx is a reputable program. Assuming you got it from a normal source (Mac Updates or Version Tracker), you should be fine.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. If we know that the freeware, rather than OS/X, is going to ask for the password, is it better to change the admin password to a dummy one first?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that's not necessary. The software needs the password to be able to access system files. Reputable software isn't "collecting" your password.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That doesn't help anyway. See, if the password is x123 and you change it to x, then the installer asking for the password will still have access to the system files/folder if you enter the x as a working password.

There is some freeware out there which requires to have access to system files and folders, so you still have to give it access to those, no dummy password will circumvent that.

Just make sure you don't install any software that may be compromised. Use the search engine of your choice to make sure if you are unsure.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. Do you mean:
    www.versiontracker.com
    http://www.macupdate.com/

I want to avoid fake sites that look very similar to the ones you mentioned.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacUpdate and VersionTracker are well known resources for safe software.

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

11. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's an exception. I used MU and VT almost every week for every piece of software I came across in my first two years of Mac ownership and never, ever came upon malware, maybe badly coded software, but not malware.