Is it safe to put macbook to sleep every night?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by audiokeeffe, Jul 10, 2012.

1. audiokeeffe macrumors member

Every night I just close my macbook, so that I do not have to close all of my tabs and I can easily and quickly check my email etc in the morning.

I restart my computer every now and again when I feel that it is slowing down a bit or something needs updating, but other than that, I just put it in sleep mode during the night and when I'm out of the house.

Is this safe to do? Do most of you do this too, or do you guys shut it down every night?

2. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I usually do the same, I mainly use my iMac but use my macbook pro for photoshop, some gaming and editing. I hate turning on my macbook and waiting so I just put it to sleep, however if I know it will be a few days before I use it, then I will shut it down.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Perfectly fine.

I hardly shut down /restart my Macs other then when Software Update insists.

4. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I'll put it to sleep unless I know I'll be away for a few days or carrying it around for a few hours.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I haven't shut down a Mac since I don't know when, just sleep.

6. waynep macrumors 6502

I do the same. Just close the lid and let it sleep at night. I reboot about once a week just because I came from the Windows world and needed to every day.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I've been doing the same with all the Macs I have ever owned since 2003. I reboot on average maybe once a month or every few weeks, mostly for software installs or updates.

I did it with an iMac but the only risk there was that of a power failure. Less of an issue with laptops but if you leave it sleeping for longer than a few days (say if you take your laptop to a cottage and forget to plug it in) it may eventually shut itself down.