Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADAADW

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Hey all,

Quick question, after looking through the forums i can seem to find this answer.
I'm wondering if putting newsstand in a folder (folder within a folder) will cause issues with battery life or corruption of data? Sorry this may be a dumb question but i was wondering if anyone had experience with this or knows anything about it.

Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Battery life, no.
Corruption, maybe, *maybe* during a restore from backup or OTA update.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
i have loaded newsstand into a folder the day i heard about the hack. there will be no issues with it residing in a folder, as long as you dont plan on using it. as soon as you try to launch newsstand from the folder, it will cause springboard to crash.

my iphone is not jailbreak'd, and i have performed a restore at least once wince i "hid" newsstand with no issues.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Battery life, no.
Corruption, maybe, *maybe* during a restore from backup or OTA update.
I had my newsstand in a folder last OTA update and the most recent restore from iCloud backup.

The OTA update doesn't do anything, the restore from iCloud backup just simply pushes newsstand out of the folder so you have to redo the folder.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I would not do it.

iOS is NOT coded to handle nested folders, and the only evidence we have that there is no negative impact is anecdotal and clearly not done with rigorous testing procedures.

Just put it on the last page and move on. 5.1 fixes the bug that allows you to nest folders anyway, so you will only be able to hide it for a little while.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I'm wondering why there is such a resistance to the Newsstand feature. I think it's very useful and looks good on the screen when there are some publications on the shelves.

However, I think publications have a ways to go before they are uniform and easily functional with Newsstand. Reader's Digest, Popular Mechanics, and Better Homes & Gardens have really cool interactive e-publications. But too often the e-publications are copies of the print version with the ability to turn the pages.

Another problem is the cost. You can sometimes subscribe to a print version for less than $10/year, yet the e-version is $20 or more. Also, they don't download to the hard drive. Each time you open the magazine, you have to wait for it to re-download - a PITA because it can take a lot of time.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
i agree that newsstand is a nice feature, but since i dont use it, i dont want it cluttering up my home screen.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Move it to its own page at the end of your pages of apps and forget about it.

i dont like having an app page if i dont have to. i used this technique -http://thecodingmassacre.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/newsstand-folder-no-jailbreak-ios-5/

i have NEVER had any issues with my phone since. and, like i mentioned before, as long as you dont try to launch newsstand from the folder, you phone will never know the difference.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I would not do it.

iOS is NOT coded to handle nested folders, and the only evidence we have that there is no negative impact is anecdotal and clearly not done with rigorous testing procedures.

Just put it on the last page and move on. 5.1 fixes the bug that allows you to nest folders anyway, so you will only be able to hide it for a little while.
there is a negative impact, the newsstand crashes when you try to launch it. That is the ONLY negative impact and if you are like most people and don't even use newstand this is no concern.

I lost nothing when I moved newsstand to the folder and I have never once wanted to open it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would think that if you never use Newsstand, you should be fine. I don't use it all on my iPhone, so I placed it in a folder. However, on my iPad I don't have it in a folder since I have a NYT and T+L subscription and I actually use the folder. I could see you possibly encountering an issue if you had to restore your phone, but if you don't use the folder, you should be fine.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
there is a negative impact, the newsstand crashes when you try to launch it. That is the ONLY negative impact and if you are like most people and don't even use newstand this is no concern.

I lost nothing when I moved newsstand to the folder and I have never once wanted to open it.

I develop software for a living and your conclusion is based on anecdotal evidence, not serious application testing.

No way I would do this on my device.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
I've had it in a folder on my iPad since the day I found out I could do it. It hasn't caused issue yet. I wish I could just delete it... I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it is a waste of space on my devices.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I develop software for a living and your conclusion is based on anecdotal evidence, not serious application testing.

Care to explain why you would never do this on your device? I have had my nesstand app in a fold with no problems but if there is something I am missing I would like to know so I can remove it. That is, if there is a real reason to.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010

the ONLY time i had an issue with newsstand nested inside a folder was when i tried to OPEN newsstand from inside that folder. that action caused springboard to crash.

the only ones that are actually looking to place newsstand into a folder are those individuals that dont use it, so i dont see any issues coming up.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Care to explain why you would never do this on your device? I have had my nesstand app in a fold with no problems but if there is something I am missing I would like to know so I can remove it. That is, if there is a real reason to.

Because iOS does NOT handle nested folders, and Apple does not develop or test ANY of it's utility programs to handle nested folders.

You are trying to use a SOFTWARE BUG as a feature...

It's untested - other than the comments like, "I have not seen a problem" - and frankly the data on my iOS devices is worth more to me than the ability to hide Newsstand in another folder.

NO ONE has done rigorous testing, as Apple would have to do if this were an actual iOS feature, AND it stops working in a few weeks when the bug is patched in its 5.1 anyway...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Anecdotes are not scientific evidence, but that doesn't make them no evidence. I and many other people have been doing this for months with no issues and I have never heard a single report of a problem that could be traced to this. Have you? Do you have any evidence that doing this is dangerous?

Even supposing that it did cause some sort of issue in rare cases, there is nothing it could possibly do that would not be fixed completely by simply restoring the phone.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Unless it corrupts your backup

Hahaha, yeah, and having 6 pages of apps could do that, and watching Netflix just after playing Angry Birds could cause a slight voltage overload to the GPU and that would in turn cause....... Stupid.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Hahaha, yeah, and having 6 pages of apps could do that, and watching Netflix just after playing Angry Birds could cause a slight voltage overload to the GPU and that would in turn cause....... Stupid.

I'm sure you have tested every potential risk to this and can assure us with your test plans and results that there is no risk when nesting folders in an OS that does not support nested folders.

As a professional software developer with 30 years experience, including several iOS apps, I guess I will have to submit to your superior knowledge and trust my data to your guarantee that there will be no negative impact from exploiting this bug.... Not.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I'm sure you have tested every potential risk to this and can assure us with your test plans and results that there is no risk when nesting folders in an OS that does not support nested folders.

As a professional software developer with 30 years experience, including several iOS apps, I guess I will have to submit to your superior knowledge and trust my data to your guarantee that there will be no negative impact from exploiting this bug.... Not.

I could care less if a bug presents itself at some future point in time. Stay up all night worrying about it, counting the number of years you have spent developing whatever you develop. Worrying about 'potential' bugs with no evidence is your idea of fun I take it. Have at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.