Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Hello guys! I have a Macbook Pro 2015 and I want to reinstall High Sierra, because it boots very slow during startup and I want to make it clean for the GM.
Is there any risk? Does formatting in APFS has trouble even at this stage? My current format for install drive is APFS...

drlacus

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Budapest
I did this yesterday on my early 2015 MacBook Pro and I also did it because it was slow to boot. It is a bit faster now and everything went smoothly, formatting the whole SSD using APFS finished without any hiccups.

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Thank you so much for your response!
I did a fresh reinstall and everything worked correctly!

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Sounds good! I swapped to the beta on my 2017 and it updated my system to APFS without asking me - thankfully it seems to be working just fine here as well.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I have done nothing but upgrade in place. Including when I ran into some trouble (because I stupidly enable FileVault), I restored an image of Sierra and just did an in place upgrade to High Sierra from there. I guess I am lucky or Apple has this down. High Sierra is working very well for me. I am a former Windows user where a clean install was pretty much a must.

JLIONZ

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
All,

Please read this email Maintain Software the makers of Cocktail, a tool I use frequently. It may adress some of your issues with HS 10.13.1 and 10.13.2

Apple releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 update

2DQOyGPCWpKE1SJY0zFMATlWN7p6EOgO_1448489829-autox70.png

Apple has released a completed 10.13.2 update for macOS High Sierra. This update improves the stability, compatibility, and security (the update includes permanent fix for the root password security flaw that could allow anyone to log in as the system administrator and modify your data) of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

We would like to remind you that it is always recommended to use a combo update to update macOS.

Many of the problems we are asked to solve can be traced back to a faulty system update or corrupt system files. While it may sound pretty serious there is usually a very simple way to fix it, reinstall the latest Combo update from Apple.

When Apple is testing macOS updates with its developers they are using the Combo update, which is a package that contains every single update from the day your macOS version was released. However, what they deliver to the end users is normally an incremental update which only contains the changes from say 10.13.1 to 10.13.2. Unless you have a clean install there is a chance that it will replace files it shouldn’t or, on the contrary, that it won’t replace files that have become corrupted and are now causing problems.

The best thing to do if you happen to experience these problems is to reinstall the update, but instead of using the Mac App Store which will only give you the incremental update you use the Combo update. The Combo update will replace all the core system files and give you a completely fresh and up to date macOS install that will hopefully make your problems history.

This is also how you fix your computer if an update was interrupted as the Combo update will restore all missing files and make sure they are up to date.
You can download the macOS Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944.

JLIONZ

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
This is a great idea, however, will a combo update set all System Preferences back to factory default too?
;JOOP!

Joop,

No. At least it didn't in my situation. The combo upgrade from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 BETA worked perfectly and as we would expect. And, based on the incredible hassles of 10.13.1 screen freezes and related massive performance problems, I am so happy that my system is back to normal.

I would encourage you to follow the recommendations from Maintain which, is why I posted in full so you can read exactly what they suggest. Also, I use Cocktail and I think its a robust product but that's an aside to your main question. I say Go for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.