Is it safe to run fan control on MBP 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kohsamui100, Nov 10, 2018.

1. kohsamui100 macrumors member

Since both my MBP 2010 and 2011 has suffered from heat damage to the GPU, I decided that I don't want to take any chance with my new MBP 2016, and I'm running Macs Fan Control constantly, to keep it running at no more than 50c-60c. I wonder if that's safe or if this can cause any damage to the computer in the long-term ?

2. chabig macrumors 603

You are operating the machine in a manner for which it was not designed. I’d say you’re taking a risk.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no risk at keeping the computer cooler then before. However this may increase the wear and tear on the fans, and they may have issues down the road.

4. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Agreed.

No risk at all in keeping the computer cooler, and I suspect providing you're not running the fans at max RPM, the wear will be minimal, whenever you run anything at its maximum operating speed/temp there will be significantly more wear than at a mid range speed/temp. Think at car redlining vs highway, cpu at 60c vs 100c, I think you're fine mate.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me just add that both the 2010 and 2011 MBP had defective GPUs, so what you experienced back then shouldn't occur now. Many of us have used dGPU equipped MBPs for years w/o any failure. My 2012 MBP for instance is still going strong.

6. kohsamui100 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.

I'm not running the fan at constant speed, just set the threshold so they start cooling earlier, to keep the Macbook at a 50c-70c range. I really don't like the idea of it reaching 90c-100c. And I really prefer to need to replace a fan a few years from now, than an entire motherboard... but I've heard that running fan control can do damage to sensors ? does it make any sense ?

7. leman macrumors G3

What do you mean by "safe"? It's neither safe nor unsafe, just rather pointless. But if you prefer to have your components running cooler at the expense of your laptop sounding like a vacuum every time you open a new browser window, go for it.

That said, how are you going to keep it at 50-70C range? The CPU will get to the 100C range if you push it, just maybe a bit slower.