Is it safe to send my MBP to AppleCare with private data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doopokko, Nov 20, 2008.

1. doopokko macrumors newbie

I have a Mid-2007 model 15-inch MacBook Pro. Last weekend the display stopped working, although the computer seems to still work. If I boot it up and wait a while the keyboard will illuminate and I can turn the volume up and down with the FN keys. Even if I hook up an external display nothing appears.

I do have private data on this hard disk. Ideally I would make a backup and then sanitize the disk before having it repaired, but I can't figure out any way to access the data.

As far as the repair goes I seem to have two options: a small Apple-certified repair center here in town, or actually shipping it in to AppleCare. I'm inclined to believe that my data would be somewhat safer in Apple's hands rather than in a small business, however I'm not really sure. I'm especially worried after hearing about how GeekSquad would scour PCs for private data.

Is it safe to send in my laptop to AppleCare? Will they go through my files? If it really is unsafe, what is the best way to get the data off of my computer before sending it in?

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

Not really experienced with Macs, but in Windows I would try a remote desktop connection from another computer, maybe there is something similar for Mac?
    Or how about target disk mode or something

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

take your private stuff off first; you might not get the same hard drive back.

5. doopokko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I didn't know about Target Disk mode before, but I'm using it right now and it seems to be exactly what I need.

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

If its the display thats damaged then connect it to an external display via the DVI port

7. zenspeaks macrumors member

Other option is...slip your HDD into another Mac and take backups.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes. But if you are really paranoid, create an admin account and give the info of that new account to Apple, instead of your main account.

You need to backup. There are hundred of threads on how to do it here if you just search. Such as target disk mode.

9. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

how do you go into and out of target disk mode

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Hold down T during the "bong". I would never ship any of my data (public or otherwise) to a stranger/shop.

11. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I wouldn't risk it. there is a bug that sends emails with attachments to random contacts.