Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hzxu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Hi, I'll be learning LAMP (mainly PHP), so I need to setup a LAMP server for testing purpose, I have a Thinkpad T60 and a Macbook Pro, I mainly use the Mac for my daily uses, so it is more convenient to setup a LAMP server on Mac. But I read some articles about how to do it, I have to turn on Web Sharing, so basically is it safe to do this?

Thanks a lot!

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Hi, I'll be learning LAMP (mainly PHP), so I need to setup a LAMP server for testing purpose, I have a Thinkpad T60 and a Macbook Pro, I mainly use the Mac for my daily uses, so it is more convenient to setup a LAMP server on Mac. But I read some articles about how to do it, I have to turn on Web Sharing, so basically is it safe to do this?

Thanks a lot!

You can't get a LAMP with the mac. If you are lucky, you will get a MAMP

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
All Web Sharing does is start the built in Apache and open port 80 through the firewall. MAMP comes with its own Apache server, you can set it up to use any port, you don't need to turn on Web Sharing, and if you're doing all your work on your Mac, the port you choose doesn't even have to be accessible from another computer.

By the way, you can install WAMP on a Windows machine, or install Linux on it and install LAMP, or use VirtualBox and install Linux on either computer in a VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.