Is it safe to update/ buy new apps from the app store post jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrThompsonR, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I noticed on my old iPhone 3 and on earlier versions of IOS on my iPhone 4 that my phones would sometimes crash and the only remedy after my phone becoming "bricked," would be to restore the phone to the latest OS which of course wouldn't be jailbroken... After dealing with this when I lost my IOS 4.1 jailbreak and being forced to "upgrade" to IOS 4.3x and going w/o a jailbreak again until IOS 5.01! I'd rather not play this cat and mouse game with Apple... Long story short, is it safe to upgrade current apps/ buy new apps from the Apple app store or should I just stick to the more "trusted" apps in the Cydia store?

2. MauiGideon macrumors regular

3. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

1. You were never forced to upgrade your phone to the newest OS and lose your jailbreak.
    2. Downloading and updating apps from the App Store has nothing to do with your jailbreak. So, yes, download and update apps as you wish.
    3. Just don't update your OS until you know it's able to be jailbroken. That's pretty much how this game goes.

4. gladoscc macrumors 6502

All problems are with Cydia programs. App store programs will never ever brick your device.

My suggestions:

> Don't install Winterboard.

> Don't install SBSettings.

> Don't install Activator.

> Don't install Backgrounder.

> Don't install Dreamboard.

It would also help if you listed all your cydia packages.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why don't you just tell the guy not to jailbreak? :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with any of the tools you've mentioned (although backgrounder is not compatible with 5.x), and they are some of the most worthwhile reasons to jailbreak.