Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Is it safe to update/ buy new apps from the app store post jailbreak?

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
I noticed on my old iPhone 3 and on earlier versions of IOS on my iPhone 4 that my phones would sometimes crash and the only remedy after my phone becoming "bricked," would be to restore the phone to the latest OS which of course wouldn't be jailbroken... After dealing with this when I lost my IOS 4.1 jailbreak and being forced to "upgrade" to IOS 4.3x and going w/o a jailbreak again until IOS 5.01! I'd rather not play this cat and mouse game with Apple... Long story short, is it safe to upgrade current apps/ buy new apps from the Apple app store or should I just stick to the more "trusted" apps in the Cydia store?

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I noticed on my old iPhone 3 and on earlier versions of IOS on my iPhone 4 that my phones would sometimes crash and the only remedy after my phone becoming "bricked," would be to restore the phone to the latest OS which of course wouldn't be jailbroken... After dealing with this when I lost my IOS 4.1 jailbreak and being forced to "upgrade" to IOS 4.3x and going w/o a jailbreak again until IOS 5.01! I'd rather not play this cat and mouse game with Apple... Long story short, is it safe to upgrade current apps/ buy new apps from the Apple app store or should I just stick to the more "trusted" apps in the Cydia store?

1. You were never forced to upgrade your phone to the newest OS and lose your jailbreak.
2. Downloading and updating apps from the App Store has nothing to do with your jailbreak. So, yes, download and update apps as you wish.
3. Just don't update your OS until you know it's able to be jailbroken. That's pretty much how this game goes.

Comment

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
All problems are with Cydia programs. App store programs will never ever brick your device.

My suggestions:

> Don't install Winterboard.

> Don't install SBSettings.

> Don't install Activator.

> Don't install Backgrounder.

> Don't install Dreamboard.

It would also help if you listed all your cydia packages.

Comment

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
All problems are with Cydia programs. App store programs will never ever brick your device.

My suggestions:

> Don't install Winterboard.

> Don't install SBSettings.

> Don't install Activator.

> Don't install Backgrounder.

> Don't install Dreamboard.

It would also help if you listed all your cydia packages.

Why don't you just tell the guy not to jailbreak? :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with any of the tools you've mentioned (although backgrounder is not compatible with 5.x), and they are some of the most worthwhile reasons to jailbreak.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.