Is it safe to use 3rd party Siri Proxies?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lazer90210, May 6, 2012.

1. Lazer90210 macrumors newbie

I saw this article on Redmond Pie and thought it would be cool to use Siri on my iPhone 4. I had previously created my own Siri Proxy, but it was pointless for me as I didn't have the 4S authentication tokens. So, the WordJelly option seems like quite a nice idea. However, when using my own Siri Proxy, I noticed just how much of your information/requests are sent in plain text through the terminal window. In addition to that, some of the points highlighted in this video on YouTube were rather worrying. However, I've never really noticed any articles warning of any risks of using 3rd party Siri Proxies. So, the question is... Is it safe to use 3rd party Siri Proxies?

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

No it is not safe if you are paranoid. :)

Assume that your calendar and contacts are exposed to the proxy server, and possibly other personal information. Decent proxy servers of course do not store this, but they could in principle. So if you have confidential info on your phone, don't use a proxy server (or don't use Siri at all, since Apple also gets this info).

For the rest of us, it is probably OK. Anybody spying on my iPhone calendar is probably wasting his time anyway.