Is it safe to use keyboard cover for macbook pro retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionkin, Nov 11, 2014.

1. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

You probably heard this question before but please give me an answer. Yes Apple did warn all macbook pro retina users-->http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS4384. I just want to hear about peoples experience.

2. Rileyx2 macrumors member

I haven't used one & I knew how tight the tolerance was when I purchased or shortly thereafter. Seeing the light outline of the keys (from the oil that builds up on the keys) on the screen was enough to discourage me from considering anything like this.

3. nerowolfe macrumors member

Using both palm-rest and keycap covers on rMBP. No issues whatsoever. Keyboard cover is removable, just clean it regularly and remove it prior to closing lid so it wouldn't leave stains on screen that you'll have to clean.

Even tested it last week for heat trapping. Negligible.

4. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]

Silicon keys, together with a cheapskate screen protector on my late 2013 15" rMBP. So far nothing wrong. :D

5. lionkin thread starter macrumors regular

lionkin

First of all your using screen protector and it's safe to close the lid with screen protector. I am currently using nice speck case, and keyboard protector here what my keyboard skin cover looks like ---http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9GIJMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. My question is since I don't have screen protector is it safe to close the lid with my keyboard skin cover?

6. thebro20 macrumors regular

where did you get those keys?

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I wouldn't put anything over the keys or palm rests. Why hide the beauty/design of the machine? It's like putting plastic over your couch. :eek:

The only thing I've added is a non-glare film to my screen because I don't like the reflection.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The aluminum housing functions as a heatsink to help cool the machine. Having a case on it just nullifies that function.

9. lionkin thread starter macrumors regular

lionkin

10. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

individuality ... why be the same. we all do not dress the same. I love seeing the unique stickers and style looks people come up with for there Macs. No other notebook brand influences that like the Macbook does.

11. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

There are air vents on the bottom of the panel, and I have to say, it's well designed. Overall, the edges, vents etc are all well thought out.

----------

here!

It's in Singapore, so I do not know if you will be able to get it.

12. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Got rid of my cover after having to wipe the screen each day from the outline of the keys. Not worth it for me.

I clean my retina screen with a dab of clean water on a cloth. That's it.

13. lionkin thread starter macrumors regular

lionkin

Does it damage the retina screen?

14. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Unknown for the long haul, but just after about a month using it, and kept on seeing this outline of the keyboard cover on the screen, and having to wipe it constantly, I put it in a drawer. Not worth it. They are cheap if you want to try one out, but I can guarantee you, it will be dumped later on.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The primary cooling is via the vents on the sides and back of the MBP. Any heat dissipation (which is in all directions) has minimal impact on cooling, compared to the fans and vents. Having a keyboard cover will have no meaningful impact on cooling.

16. lionkin thread starter macrumors regular

lionkin

When you close the lid with the keyboard cover, will it damage the retina display? I know it does not have impact on cooling but my main concern is about retina display.

17. macfreak101 macrumors regular

I have the same concern too
    which product do you use? is it worth it? Screen Protectors are pretty dam expensive and theres no guarantee of applying it right without bubbles or dust and does it reduce the quality?

Can I use the kuzy keyboard protector without the screen protector or will it damage my screen? Is the screen protector a necessity? I have seen a rmbp with one and the glare sucks with the protector plus the quality of the screen also goes down so its pointless. could please post a few more pictures? And the case you are using, how is it and of which brand is it? Im thinking of purchasing the kuzy rubberized case or the ipearl mcover

18. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Ok, I've got keyboard and screen protectors on for
    a) aesthetics and
    b) prevent accidental spills and poking by my children

So far, I haven't seen any damage. Keyboard protector is silicon (rubber).
    I carry my rMBP in a backpack to and fro the office.

The screen protector I'm using is cheap stuff.
    I usually work late at night and my lights are mostly dimmed off.
    There's glare, but I'm ok with it. Reduction in quality? I don't feel it.
    I'm a hobbyist photographer by the way. I got the rMBP mainly for photography use.

This is where I bought the case:
    Frosted series with logo (this has the rubberized touch)

And this is where I got the protectors:
    Screen and Keyboard protectors

And the pictures:
    Top of case
    [​IMG]

Bottom
    [​IMG]

Internals (Reflection is prominent, pic is taken in the office which is brightly lit).
    And I must mention this: my screen is dark. I don't like it bright.
    [​IMG]

I don't remove the keyboard cover after I'm done. I just close my lid.
    I do see dust on the screen, mostly around the keyboard area so I believe the silicon cover attracts dust and pass it on to the screen when I close it. And since I have the screen protector, I just use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. Gentle rubs and I'm good to go.

If you have concerns about accessories, then don't use them.
    If not, just get them, use them and not worry too much about it.

Life's too short to keep worrying about such stuff... Enjoy life! :cool:

19. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I have and removed the Moshi keyboard protector. Hardly see it on my notebook. Nice for spills but again it marks up the screen.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some covers may leave marks on the screen and some may not. I'm sure others who have used the same covers can tell you their experiences and you can go from that. I personally prefer not to put anything on my MBP, but I use an external keyboard most of the time, so the built-in keys don't see enough action to wear quickly.

21. blooperz macrumors 6502

The only issue I can see is for people that leave them on when the laptop is closed...residue may/may not damage the coating on the screen> who knows...