Is it safe to use passwords etc on public WiFi?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MrMister111, Aug 4, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Is it safe to use passwords, usernames, log into accounts etc on public WiFi?

I'm talking for example if I'm abroad, I into a local McDonalds/Burger King with free WiFi, log on, is it safe for me to then log into my bank account on my iPhone 5? Log into my Google account? Buy something off eBay using PayPal etc?

Also I suppose I can buy a Euro pass from my network (3 in UK), so is it safe over 3G network as well?

Cheers

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

"No" to safe on wifi. You should be OK over data.

You could always subscribe to a VPN and turn it on when using wifi. The one I use, iVPN, has a variety of account types (temporary to long-term).

Some wifi hotspots (not many in my experience) block VPN access.

3. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

I'd have to completely agree w/ Brian - a public Wi-Fi hotspot is not secure and your unencrypted data can be 'grabbed' out of the air. Wife & I do a lot of short car trips and always stay at places w/ Wi-Fi (virtually never secured) - take mainly iPads now - SO, we never do personal banking, purchases w/ credit card information, or any other activities that might involve our online security.

One step is to make sure the websites you visit 'on the road' have security intact (i.e. check for the HTTPS:// opening of their URLs); depending on the device you are using, check to see if there are software options that can help (e.g. my MBP w/ OS X has a firewall that I would activate if taken on a trip). Of course, if a 'wired' connection is available, another option. Finally, a travel router can establish a secure personal network (like in an hotel room), so a consideration - I have the Zuni below but many are available. Good luck and just be careful w/ these 'free' hotspots! :)

[​IMG]

4. libertysat macrumors regular

Does it make a difference if instead of typing in a password, you copy paste a password?
    Is it key loggers that the idiots use or do they actually can 'scoop' the password out of the wifi connection?

5. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

they can spoof your connection packets and dont need even to know your password. There are some android apps which do such things and it works on 90% of wifi networks.