Is it safe to write on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

Well today I was studying for a test and out of randomness I started writing my name on my macbook, it actually felt like I was writing on paper and it was pretty cool hahah, thought I would share that :p.

Is it harmful to the computer?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

they don't call it a notebook for nothing, I suppose...

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What, you're writing ON your MBP? Or are you placing paper on your MBP and writing on that?

Either way, you have to ASK if this will harm your computer? Really?

4. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Well its pretty useful hahah because I spend a lot of time on my laptop and if I need to remember something for later or take a quick note I could easily write there

----------

On the actual aluminum. I just thought maybe it would be sensitive or something sorry

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Or you could use the note taking program (text edit) that comes with your Mac to take quick notes.

Writing on your Mac won't harm your computer, but there's not enough adhesion between ink (or pencil lead) and aluminum for your note to be reliably retained.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Don't be sorry, this is your product. Do what you want with it :). I haven't wrote on mine yet...haven't had that much courage :p

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sure you can write on it. I recommend you use a pen with a carbide or diamond tip.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

yes, I always write on the palm rests. When the space runs out, I pull the lid forward and take a picture of what I wrote on the palm rests and then erase it...

Seriously, it won't harm your mac. If you scratch the surface too much, you can put the two apple stickers there that came with your mac. That's what they are for.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

what did you write on there with???

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

11. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

12. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Just wrote my name hahaha while studying, I wrote with a lead pencil and it feels nice to write on it hahahha then I started drawing shapes and stuff.

Rubbed it all off now its clean

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I wouldn't do that.

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

And you really had to start a thread about this? That's 5 minutes of my life I'm not getting back. You fail.

15. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

If my time was that precious I wouldn't spend time on forums. (I see you here basically every day)

16. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

If my money was that valuable I wouldn't spend it on a MacBook Pro.

How I choose to spend my precious time is nobody's business but mine. And I certainly don't like it when it's wasted by junk threads like this.

18. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

it is actually fun to do so :D
    except the part where you have to rub it off with the eraser :(

19. Jjrounding macrumors newbie

Who asked you to read this thread?

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Well, since the OP didn't address anyone specific in the title, I'm assuming he wanted as many people as possible to see this thread. There mere act of starting a thread is a good indication that the thread starter is asking people to read it.

21. praetorx macrumors regular

Some common sense and you would have answered the question yourself.
    Pointy item on soft metal (brushed aluminum) = ...?

22. WalkingSnake macrumors member

Wow some people here. You'd think you were writing on their MBP or something.

Simple answer: It won't harm your computer at all. It's your computer, enjoy it however you want to. Lead is soft enough that it shouldn't leave any permanent indentions, however keep in mind it could cause erosion or scratches if done a lot. But if you don't mind that, then go for it. I would advise against it if you ever plan to sell your Macbook, but if you're keeping it for a long time, then by all means, enjoy it however you want! :)

23. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can, of course, cease reading the thread at any time in order to minimize wasted time.

Seems you don't really consider this time wasted, as you take time to come back and reply to each person who quotes you. If you truly considered this thread a waste of time, you wouldn't keep coming back. I know if I think something is really a waste of time, I just drop it and don't look back.

24. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

No, I really do consider it time wasted. I'm just getting reparations for it. :)

25. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Booooo!

Nah. I used to do it all the time in college. I used to wash it off with a wet rag and my MBP looks perfectly fine...