Is it so hard to implement a passcode lock for such things as notes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fouraadfproa, Nov 29, 2010.

1. fouraadfproa macrumors newbie

Let alone ecnryption.... Many of us leave our phones for a while (a short while not enough say for the master pass lock to be activated) and would really appreciate a per app lock for apps with sensitive info....

...I can't understand why it's not there yet. And I am not going for a 3rd party app because I love how notes sync over mm.

2. fouraadfproa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

But I am still shying away from a jailbreak...:(

And it seems kinda counter productive to make your phone more vulnerable to attacks via jailbreak so you can install an app supposed to protect your privacy...

but who know I might at some point jailbreak the thing and get all the great features the jailbreak community offers, which I know are many.

3. ktang macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can try an app called securetext in the app store, it's the just like the note that comes default on the iPhone.

4. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

5. fouraadfproa thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that i ll give it a try, i hope it syncs via mm, because that's the killer feature for me.

6. mrochester macrumors 65816

Can you not just set the passcode lock to lock immediately?

7. fouraadfproa thread starter macrumors newbie

kind of a bummer isn't it, at least for me it is you know sometimes you lock the phone, and then you pick it up immediately having forgotten to do or check something, as well as placing calls one after the other...way too much of hassle, I now have it at (what?) an hour I think and I find it tiresome sometimes with the constant lock input.

Far better to just protect the apps you want, even hide them as with that safeguard they have to protect kids to access some bits, why isn't notes in there is beyond me.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

We need facial recognition with the front-facing camera, or a fingerprint reader on the Home button.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

More vulnerable? It's only more vulnerable if you install OpenSSH and don't change your password. So jailbreak it, install Locktopus, then love your iPhone all over again.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

geesh another complaint about security from someone too lazy to use the passlock

set it to something like 1 min and have your passcode be 9999 0000 etc, something you can do in 0.5 seconds

yes its not as secure as 4 random numbers but combined with "erase phone after 10 failed attempts" it's pretty damn good

11. LivingLarge macrumors member

I just installed Locktopus today. That app is pure gold. Wish i would've found it earlier.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

There are two things you can do. Jailbreak your iphone, or get an android phone.

13. fouraadfproa thread starter macrumors newbie

be more polite, and speak for yourself, it's even more secure if you put ti not every one minute, but every 1 sec, guess what to some it's not practical.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

What about something as simple as a password for your mail? I can't believe any company would allow their employees to use email on their iPhone without a password.

15. fouraadfproa thread starter macrumors newbie

oh that too, that too, inexplicably missing...:(

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

let me get this straight, you're too lazy to input a 4 digit password that protects your phone from use

but you are arguing for the need to input your password everytime you check your mail?

are you that bored or just arguing for the principal?

stop moaning about it and either jailbreak your phone or install a damn password lock

17. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I tried this....I am now jailbroken