is it still bad to put keyboard covers on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isephmusic, Nov 17, 2013.

1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

earlier this year a report saying keyboard covers make the retina macbook screens touch making this unnecessary pressure points that could potentially damage the screen. i just ordered a rubber hard case that came with a cover. is it still bad to use them or was that proven to not really do anything. thanks

2. Breedlove macrumors regular

Personally, I refuse to use keyboard protectors because just because they leave oil imprints on the screen after the lid is closed.

Don't know how true the "pressure point" theory is but you will be applying pressure directly when you wipe the smudges left by the keyboard protector off the screen and this will be much greater than the amount of pressure applied by the keyboard protector with the lid closed:rolleyes:

Another thing you can do is use the keyboard cover whenever you have the lid open and just take it off before closing the lid.

3. nitromac macrumors 6502

considering keyboard covers are usually made of silicone (which is soft) and your screen is made of glass (which is hard), it shouldn't really do anything to the display. If anything I would assume it inhibits ventilation a bit since you are blocking airflow through the keyboard.

4. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

I used to have keyboard cover on my 2010 MBP, but stopped after friends called it a keyboard condom. Not scientific, but the machine would generate less heat. I don't use one for my rMBP.

Apple posted this article:

5. codeman7 macrumors member

I've got a transparent matte one that's very thin and form-fitted on my 15" rMBP, and it doesn't leave any marks on the screen, which leads me to believe it's not contacting the screen (or is just barely doing so)... that or it's not dirty enough yet to leave anything behind, haha.

Reference: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-keyboard-cover/