Is it still buggy to restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jigzaw, Sep 26, 2015.

1. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I've heard over the years that this can cause battery/processing issues, but lately when I mention that to people I kinda get eyes rolled at me. What I hear is that this is a pretty minimal process and doesn't mess up the new phone. I'm just wondering about people's experiences/knowledge of this lately. Is it more a philosophical thing than an actual performance problem?

I just got a 128 gig 6S Plus today, have updated the iOS to 9.0.1 and used it as a new phone for a few hours and aside from some minor lag (noticeably when unlocking the phone), it's been great.

The thing is, I have a history of texts that I'd like to save and unlike other parts of the phone (voice memos, etc) there seems to be no way of transferring texts over to a new phone without a full restore. I'm coming from a 32 gig 5S that was at 9.0.1 when backed up via iTunes, encrypted. I'm now restoring that backup to my new 6S and will report how it performs.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

All you're really backing up and restoring anymore is settings. Gone are the days of giant image backups where every app image is also stored in your computer (this might still be an option, I don't know, because I don't use it).

It's still recommended you do a "setup as new" if you're having issues with your brand new devices, but I wouldn't call it a standard
    Operating procedure like it once was. The last new set up I did was with the iPhone 5. I've had the 5s, 6 plus, and 6s plus since.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have never restored as new since 2007. No problems here.

4. Advil macrumors 6502a

i didn't know this. i've upgraded every single year since the original iphone and i always set up as new because back in the day if you jailbroke and restored that backup it could be really laggy/buggy on the new iOS. i wish i knew this before my 6s came in! i uninstalled all my cydia stuff before backing up but oh well.

5. jigzaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I deleted most apps from my 5S because I figured a fresh install of my apps would work better anyway, and did a full backup. Then I restored my new 6S Plus from that backup so I could keep my text messages and voice memos, etc. Did this via iTunes on my laptop. 2 days now and it's been working great. The only thing is if the battery is taking a hit from that, I wouldn't know because I don't have normal 6S Plus experience to compare it to!