Is it still possible to get Apple's iPhoto app for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lsquare, Jan 19, 2016.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I just bought a rMBP. I know iPhoto have already been discontinued. Is there any chance of getting a copy of the software? I think Apple even released an update to make it compatible with El Capitan.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you owned it before, it may be available via download. You may be able to purchase the the DVD version from Amazon or elsewhere.

That said, Apple most likely won't update it for support beyond El Capitan. You should look at either Photos (which isn't half bad - and made better using Extensions) or something else.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

What version of the OS are you using now?
    Do you have iPhoto up-and-running now?

The final version of iPhoto is 9.6.1.
    The way to get it is:
    1. delete your existing copy of iPhoto from the applications folder (put a backup copy somewhere else)
    2. go to the App Store, click on "purchased items", iPhoto should be there (even though previous version may have been free)
    3. download it (again). You should receive version 9.6.1.

Having said that, there are -other ways- to get 9.6.1, although the sources may be "non-approved". It -can- be found, if you look for it...

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Doesn't appear in my Purchases.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Still shows in my purchases, not sure why since Apple does not support it. But I have to agree that you should really go with something else.

6. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

That is assuming 1. OP doesn't need any features that Photos lacks and 2. developers write enough extensions, currently the number is quite small.

OP:

What kind of needs do you have, are you using only some of the features in iPhoto or all of them?

7. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never owned a Mac before so I don't have it on my MAS account. Is there still any way to get it via MAS?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, unfortunately, apple does not allow this.