Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I know it is not good to use outdated OS as they may not have the latest security path. When I took out my MacBook Pro 17" 2010, it asked me to update my software. Now, it has High Sierra 10.13.6. From wiki, it was released on November 12, 2020. Is Apple continue to provide security update for it or November 12, 2020 is the last day of any update? In other words, if I continue to use it, I am not protected from whatever security vulnerability made after that date?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, I know it is not good to use outdated OS as they may not have the latest security path. When I took out my MacBook Pro 17" 2010, it asked me to update my software. Now, it has High Sierra 10.13.6. From wiki, it was released on November 12, 2020. Is Apple continue to provide security update for it or November 12, 2020 is the last day of any update? In other words, if I continue to use it, I am not protected from whatever security vulnerability made after that date?
Apple has not provided any security updates for High Sierra since that last security update in November 2020, and will not release any more, so yes, there are likely to be security vulnerabilities exposed in High Sierra.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks. So for this laptop, it is safer to use the Windows and Linux partitions? Under Mac OS, for basic productivity, I don't feel any difference in speed compared with MacBook Pro M1.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I still use Mountain lion at least 4 time a month and never experienced anything foul or something trying to hack my spare macbook air, but icloud and anything apple will not work expect safari, apple, new products.com
Monterey is more vulnerable than Mojave according to reports from last November.

Reactions: MarkC426 and hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Is this Apple's way to make us buy new computers? If they say old hardware cannot take advantage of some new features of latest OS, why don't they just make those new features unavailable while allowing us to use the base of new OS?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Monterey is more vulnerable than Mojave according to reports from last November.
This is certainly untrue. November was also 5 months ago and Monterey has received several security updates since then while Mojave has received none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.