Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
So i was hoping for a new 15" macbook pro at WWDC but clearly did not happen.

Is it still worth buying?

My other option was buying the cheaper 13" retina and selling it when HOPEFULLY the new macbooks get released in october, but seems so far away.

but i always loed the 15" for the screen size, ....and nicer speakers and dedicated graphics card for faster rendering for videos

what would you guys do?

the 15" model i want comes to 3000 dollars with taxes and everything. plus the fre beats headphones which i could sell to knock off maybe 200.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
If you're buying directly from Apple, definitely wait for September. It's certainly still a great machine if you can find it at a decent discount online or at a 3rd Party retailer, however.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
i dont ever recall apple releasing macs at september, just october?

but regardless, like I NEED a macbook right now lol

Don't listen to them lol. Do you "need" a Macbook or do you need one. If you're open to Windows you might just be better off getting one of those. Otherwise I would get the Macbook that you need now. Won't be anything OMG I must have it

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Only because the MacBook Pro line is in dire need of an update, and there was no hardware announced at the last two keynotes so I'd imagine there has to be some kind of announcement in September.

Anyhow, if you need a MacBook now, then buy it. I honestly wouldn't waste my time and money with a cheap 13" then selling later. If you need it, get the machine you want.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Only because the MacBook Pro line is in dire need of an update, and there was no hardware announced at the last two keynotes so I'd imagine there has to be some kind of announcement in September.

Anyhow, if you need a MacBook now, then buy it. I honestly wouldn't waste my time and money with a cheap 13" then selling later. If you need it, get the machine you want.

well i figured it would be easier to sell a 13" then the 15" macbook pro.

I see the september event as apple watch 2 and iphone 7. i mean apple did release the new thinner imacs in october a couple eyars back no?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
well i figured it would be easier to sell a 13" then the 15" macbook pro.

I see the september event as apple watch 2 and iphone 7. i mean apple did release the new thinner imacs in october a couple eyars back no?

The September event last year was pretty packed so they didn't have to do an October Keynote. iPhone 6S, Apple TV, and iPad Pro were all released in September.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
The September event last year was pretty packed so they didn't have to do an October Keynote. iPhone 6S, Apple TV, and iPad Pro were all released in September.
true but again, no macs during that event in past history.

whiteRAD

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2015
Bought mine in February via eBay for around 2100 Euros.
Couldn't wait any longer as I needed it for my work.
If you can wait, then wait. The Hardware is really old. 2100€ was a OK deal.
However, you should consider that if you wait for septemeber and buy the newest model, you will have to pay the full price (e.g. 2700 upwards)

Reactions: Codeseven

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If you need one now buy one now, if you need a new computer it's worth buying one, if what you have is good enough then wait, it's not rocket science.

Reactions: Codeseven

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you need one now buy it now. Personally, given the high price, and technology in the current Macs, its hard to justify - at least for me. Macs have always been wonderfully designed machines with some really good components, but with MBPs still chugging on broadwell, and so many other competitors on skylake (for less money), its hard to justify the purchase - at least it is for me.

Reactions: Queen6

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
If you need one now buy it now. Personally, given the high price, and technology in the current Macs, its hard to justify - at least for me. Macs have always been wonderfully designed machines with some really good components, but with MBPs still chugging on broadwell, and so many other competitors on skylake (for less money), its hard to justify the purchase - at least it is for me.

You mean Haswell?

Last edited:

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I'm currently in the same boat. How much depreciation would I incur if I were to buy a 15" now and sell before the supposed event in September? 10 to 20%?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Meh.... Meh skylake. My Macbook Pro has a broadwell cpu and I prefer it over my windows laptop with a skylake cpu

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I personally don't think spending huge money on outdated hardware is worth it.

People should stop asking stupid questions if they don't like the answers.

For 15 inch model I would say wait for it..... But if you're looking into a 13 inch I would rather get a good deal on a 2015 model than wait for the skylake refresh..... That's just my 2 cents. Skylake is better but is it $200-$300 better? Not really IMHO if you can find a 13 for $200-$300 off

FYI what stupid question? I never asked one. This isn't my thread...

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you need, you need, equally at full price from Apple, vastly overpriced. I would look for a well cared for second hand MBP, and let someone else take the financial hit, or if in the US have a look at B&H as they often seem to have great deals. Buying direct from Apple, pricing is humorous at best, criminal at worst.

Also be mindful that there are strong suggestions that that 2016 model will be all USB C, which may work for you, or against you.

Q-6

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
If you need it you buy it and that totally sucks right now because the MacBook Pro is old and will lose a lot of value in a few months or weeks. You already know this, so what more do you want to hear?

strukt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
If you cant do your work on what you have now then yes. Buy a new one now.

I wouldn't pay premium for old hardware so if you ask me? No.

Reactions: ABC5S

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm currently in the same boat. How much depreciation would I incur if I were to buy a 15" now and sell before the supposed event in September? 10 to 20%?

Considerably more depending on where your located. 2016 will very likely be a new design, not just a spec bump, which will devalue the current model a good deal more. Buy one now and keep it for the long term, or wait.

Q-6

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Its still a great machine.

It has a wonderful display, great battery life, great trackpad, and very fast SSD's.

The problem is many other machines (DELL XPS 15 is a popular example) have the above (the XPS has a worse battery but better screen, so a bit of a wash) but also has a much better dGPU and costs about a thousand less for a comparable model.

So the question of "is the 15 inch retina still a fantastic computer" is a def "YES".

The question of "is the 15 inch a terrible value" has a answer that is ALSO a def "YES".

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
So i was hoping for a new 15" macbook pro at WWDC but clearly did not happen.

Is it still worth buying?

My other option was buying the cheaper 13" retina and selling it when HOPEFULLY the new macbooks get released in october, but seems so far away.

but i always loed the 15" for the screen size, ....and nicer speakers and dedicated graphics card for faster rendering for videos

what would you guys do?

the 15" model i want comes to 3000 dollars with taxes and everything. plus the fre beats headphones which i could sell to knock off maybe 200.

I picked up the top of the line 15inch rMBP for $1500 barely used with Apple Care on Craigslist last month. Even when the new ones come out I would have still gotten a great deal. Just do that.

Reactions: jerryk

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

I am in the same boat.
I am considering two options:

Get an used 13" on Craigslist or somewhere else to keep me going until the updates hopefully on Sep/Oct.
or
Get the Macbook 12" that was recently update and sell it when the MBP's comes out. The reasoning here is that would be easier to sell it later and get a good return on it. Yes, it's underpowered in comparison to MBPs but I will used mostly for UI design with Sketch app that doesn't require too much power.

Reactions: JFante
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.