Is it still worth buying the 15" Retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandomRazer, Jun 14, 2016.

  1. RandomRazer Suspended

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2016
    #1
    So i was hoping for a new 15" macbook pro at WWDC but clearly did not happen.

    Is it still worth buying?

    My other option was buying the cheaper 13" retina and selling it when HOPEFULLY the new macbooks get released in october, but seems so far away.

    but i always loed the 15" for the screen size, ....and nicer speakers and dedicated graphics card for faster rendering for videos

    what would you guys do?

    the 15" model i want comes to 3000 dollars with taxes and everything. plus the fre beats headphones which i could sell to knock off maybe 200.
     
  2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
  3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #3
    If you're buying directly from Apple, definitely wait for September. It's certainly still a great machine if you can find it at a decent discount online or at a 3rd Party retailer, however.
     
  4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #4


    You should wait 29 years from now and you'll get 18 core cpu's and 3 dedicated gpu's and it can read your mind!
     
  5. RandomRazer thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2016
    #5
    i dont ever recall apple releasing macs at september, just october?

    but regardless, like I NEED a macbook right now lol
     
  6. Closingracer macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #6


    Don't listen to them lol. Do you "need" a Macbook or do you need one. If you're open to Windows you might just be better off getting one of those. Otherwise I would get the Macbook that you need now. Won't be anything OMG I must have it
     
  7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #7
    Only because the MacBook Pro line is in dire need of an update, and there was no hardware announced at the last two keynotes so I'd imagine there has to be some kind of announcement in September.

    Anyhow, if you need a MacBook now, then buy it. I honestly wouldn't waste my time and money with a cheap 13" then selling later. If you need it, get the machine you want.
     
  8. RandomRazer thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2016
    #8
    well i figured it would be easier to sell a 13" then the 15" macbook pro.

    I see the september event as apple watch 2 and iphone 7. i mean apple did release the new thinner imacs in october a couple eyars back no?
     
  9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #9
    The September event last year was pretty packed so they didn't have to do an October Keynote. iPhone 6S, Apple TV, and iPad Pro were all released in September.
     
  10. RandomRazer thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2016
    #10
    true but again, no macs during that event in past history.
     
  11. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #11
    I personally don't think spending huge money on outdated hardware is worth it.

    People should stop asking stupid questions if they don't like the answers.
     
  12. whiteRAD macrumors member

    whiteRAD

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2015
    #12
    Bought mine in February via eBay for around 2100 Euros.
    Couldn't wait any longer as I needed it for my work.
    If you can wait, then wait. The Hardware is really old. 2100€ was a OK deal.
    However, you should consider that if you wait for septemeber and buy the newest model, you will have to pay the full price (e.g. 2700 upwards)
     
  13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #13
    If you need one now buy one now, if you need a new computer it's worth buying one, if what you have is good enough then wait, it's not rocket science.
     
  14. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #14
    If you need one now buy it now. Personally, given the high price, and technology in the current Macs, its hard to justify - at least for me. Macs have always been wonderfully designed machines with some really good components, but with MBPs still chugging on broadwell, and so many other competitors on skylake (for less money), its hard to justify the purchase - at least it is for me.
     
  15. tubeexperience, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016

    tubeexperience macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    #15
    You mean Haswell?
     
  16. aaron5566 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    #16
    I'm currently in the same boat. How much depreciation would I incur if I were to buy a 15" now and sell before the supposed event in September? 10 to 20%?
     
  17. Closingracer macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #17

    Meh.... Meh skylake. My Macbook Pro has a broadwell cpu and I prefer it over my windows laptop with a skylake cpu
     
  18. Closingracer macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #18

    For 15 inch model I would say wait for it..... But if you're looking into a 13 inch I would rather get a good deal on a 2015 model than wait for the skylake refresh..... That's just my 2 cents. Skylake is better but is it $200-$300 better? Not really IMHO if you can find a 13 for $200-$300 off



    FYI what stupid question? I never asked one. This isn't my thread...
     
  19. Queen6, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

    Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Enjoying Better Things
    #19
    If you need, you need, equally at full price from Apple, vastly overpriced. I would look for a well cared for second hand MBP, and let someone else take the financial hit, or if in the US have a look at B&H as they often seem to have great deals. Buying direct from Apple, pricing is humorous at best, criminal at worst.

    Also be mindful that there are strong suggestions that that 2016 model will be all USB C, which may work for you, or against you.

    Q-6
     
  20. sunapple macrumors 6502a

    sunapple

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #20
    If you need it you buy it and that totally sucks right now because the MacBook Pro is old and will lose a lot of value in a few months or weeks. You already know this, so what more do you want to hear?
     
  21. strukt macrumors member

    strukt

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #21
    If you cant do your work on what you have now then yes. Buy a new one now.

    I wouldn't pay premium for old hardware so if you ask me? No.
     
  22. Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Enjoying Better Things
    #22
    Considerably more depending on where your located. 2016 will very likely be a new design, not just a spec bump, which will devalue the current model a good deal more. Buy one now and keep it for the long term, or wait.

    Q-6
     
  23. PTLove macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #23
    Its still a great machine.

    It has a wonderful display, great battery life, great trackpad, and very fast SSD's.

    The problem is many other machines (DELL XPS 15 is a popular example) have the above (the XPS has a worse battery but better screen, so a bit of a wash) but also has a much better dGPU and costs about a thousand less for a comparable model.

    So the question of "is the 15 inch retina still a fantastic computer" is a def "YES".

    The question of "is the 15 inch a terrible value" has a answer that is ALSO a def "YES".
     
  24. flavr macrumors 6502

    flavr

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    #24
    I picked up the top of the line 15inch rMBP for $1500 barely used with Apple Care on Craigslist last month. Even when the new ones come out I would have still gotten a great deal. Just do that.
     
  25. gugy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    Location:
    La Jolla, CA
    #25
    I am in the same boat.
    I am considering two options:

    Get an used 13" on Craigslist or somewhere else to keep me going until the updates hopefully on Sep/Oct.
    or
    Get the Macbook 12" that was recently update and sell it when the MBP's comes out. The reasoning here is that would be easier to sell it later and get a good return on it. Yes, it's underpowered in comparison to MBPs but I will used mostly for UI design with Sketch app that doesn't require too much power.
     

Share This Page