Is it still worth it having a jailbroken Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Anastacio, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Anastacio macrumors regular

I have an Apple TV2 which is jailbroken but I haven't really used any of it's jailbroken features since jailbreaking it around a year ago.

I already have a Mac Mini connected with EyeTV and Plex, so I won't use my Apple TV for my movie collection/tv watching, and I'm not interested in RSS feeds on Apple TV when I got that with me on iPhone and iPad.

What else are people using their jailbroken ATV's for?

Because I really want to update to the latest official version as I could use the secondary screen feature, so that I can have 2 screens while working on my MacBook Air.

2. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

To me no, but "the market" says otherwise with people prepared to pay double the price of an ATV3 for an ATV2. I was personally disappointed upon checking to find I had two ATV3's - I had hoped one was an ATV2 so I could sell it.

BTW the multi-screens with Mavericks and ATV3 is really neat, the TV gets the sound too. I was disappointed to find the mirroring works on 2012 MBP but not my old 2009 Mini.

3. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

4. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

What if I am already content with Plex on my Mac Mini and have no need for 1Channel - does a jailbroken ATV2 have any use to me then?

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

if you have a second tv, you could install it there since the mini would do you no good if you wanted to watch something in the bedroom or something

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Thats something that you would have to decide.

7. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

But what I'm interested in is if there's other uses for a jailbroken ATV than movie/tv tweaks?

8. testerdennis macrumors member

Mine does the dishes lol just kidding. If you don't care about the JB why don't you sell it and with that money you could buy 2 new ones. Just a thought.

9. elga macrumors member

elga

I would like to change my Apple TV 3 to get a Apple TV 2 if I could.

10. Ghostbusters, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Ghostbusters macrumors regular

No. While there are other features, we can't kid ourselves and deny the main reason people jailbreak the ATV is to stream illegally downloaded content. Straight up. That's the elephant in the room followed by the fact that people have ripped their BD/DVD collections for streaming or wish to stream services such as podcasts or webcasts outside of the iTunes ecosystem.

Btw, there is a working jailbreak for the ATV3 now.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I sold my 2 ATV2's for a total of $420 and bought 2 Roku 3's. I like the Roku's much better

12. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

If you are looking for something other than movies or tv. . . then no. (Movies and TV is kinda the whole point of the Apple TV. . .)

Frankly it is getting less and less worthwhile to jailbreak even for movies and TV, as certain services become unusable. I never used Icefilms, but last I heard it was no longer working. (per this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...light=icefilms ).
    Also the Amazon Instant Streaming plugin for XBMC stopped working earlier this year. People came up with a workaround so that XBMC would instead pop open a web browser, but that workaround only works on macs/pc's, not Apple TVs. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108124&page=94 . Of course, nowadays you can just stream Amazon Instant Streaming to your iOS device and then airplay to your Apple TV, so this isn't too big a loss, but it's still one less reason to jailbreak.

The only plugins I've been using consistently have been Bluecop's Hulu plugin (mentioned earlier) and the "Free Cable" plugin. The latter just gives you access to those shows where the network posts a streaming version of their show on the network website. So, if CBS posts the most recent episode of "How I met your mother" on CBS.com to be viewed in browsers, that means the "Free Cable" plugin can stream that same episode directly via XBMC on your Apple TV.

With those two plugins, the jailbreak basically serves as a "backup" option for streaming shows that my EyeTV/Antenna system misses. If it's on Hulu or a network website, it's available to stream on my Apple TV. If you are interested in sports, there are some ESPN3 plugins that I'm told work pretty well, but I don't watch sports so I've never bothered trying those plugins.

I use the jailbroken features above maybe once every 2 or three weeks if for some reason we miss an episode. My wife used to use it for the cable channel shows like project runway, but for some reason that wouldn't stream reliably via Free Cable, so she just ends up watching it on her iPad. She could airplay it, but she doesn't bother.

----------

Uh what now?

Are you talking about the Plexconnect/Trailers app hack, or do you mean an actual jailbreak?

13. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

In a way better than Beamer?

14. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

It sounds to me like your Mac Mini has taken over your media needs. Other than streaming content, I'm not sure what you're expecting the Apple TV to do for you.

15. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

The only reason I would look at an older ATV is to get an ATV1 which had component video output to use on an old plasma of mine.

16. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

PM me.

17. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

When?!?

Where?!?

How?!?

Link please.

18. institute macrumors regular

19. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

[​IMG]

SLAY!

20. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

This thread gives me hope. I still have my ATV2 and haven't jailbroken it. I can still sell it for a decent nut. eBay, I assume. Anywhere else? I can't see craigslist having a huge market for them.

21. zerostar macrumors regular

I got a couple ATV1's if you pay shipping you can have one..

22. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I need to do the same thing. I have zero interest in jailbreaking.

23. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

I have an Apple TV 2 that was jailbroken but once PlexConnect for Apple TV came out, I updated it to 6.0.1 and its been great. I don't miss the jailbreak.

24. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Sell it on ebay, but jailbreak it first. Selling it pre-jailbroken should net you at least an extra $50.