Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I've been considering either a last gen MBP or new gen MB. I was worrying over the screen of the macbook and if it'll be strong enough as an everyday computer. I watch HD video alot and need a decent screen/performer

Having said that i started considering last gen's macbook pro's and almost bought one but then i hear about the Nvidia thing and now i'm thinking twice

So which is better new gen macbook or last gen MBP

Is the GPU in the old MBP gonna fail sooner or later?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My sense of it is that the previous generation (renamed "classic" on a different thread) is better. Apple's warranty and Applecare should take care of the notorious nVidia problem, if any arises. Many people have these computers and have reported no problems.

I have a MBP - bought last April - which runs perfectly, has not given me any trouble, and works like a dream. I'm very happy with it and have no intention of upgrading for at least another year or two until far more radical and impressive changes make an appearance.

Cheers and good luck

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
The reurb last gen MBP are a great deal, I just got my 2.5 and saved $1000, its flawless.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So getting one of those...with AppleCare is a good idea?

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
no it's not.
and please, don't let people call you " Stupid" :D

getting the previous Generation MBP ( Penryn) is the most practical decision you can make... that is if you're really DEAD ON buying an MBP..
have you considered the mid range and high end Macbook??

for me, they'll give you more BANG for your buckS

esphil

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
First post here.

I was awaiting the new releases for a few weeks. I have a core duo macbook 2.0 with 2GB of ram currently I've been using for the past 2 years. I was awaiting a lower price on the macbook pros. Sadly there were not much lower and personally don't like the black. I found the refurbs and decided that would be the best way to go. Money was a factor for me. I couldnt drop $2000+ on a macbook pro for a few more features. I decided to go with the 2.4GHZ 200GB macbook pro refurb for about $1300. To me this is the best way to go and am really excited to see the performance over my core duo laptop. I'm gonna sell the macbook to help pay for this one. I think its a great choice. Nothing wrong with the refurbished route, I actually really perfer the look of the previous gen.

drossad

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
PA
Go for the last gen. You will love it and save money. I bought my MBP in May and it rocks! Now I kinda wish I had waited and saved a ton of money.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I've been considering either a last gen MBP or new gen MB. I was worrying over the screen of the macbook and if it'll be strong enough as an everyday computer. I watch HD video alot and need a decent screen/performer

Having said that i started considering last gen's macbook pro's and almost bought one but then i hear about the Nvidia thing and now i'm thinking twice

So which is better new gen macbook or last gen MBP

Is the GPU in the old MBP gonna fail sooner or later?

It's funny... Everyone seems to be worried about the last gens because they contain a nVidia video chip, yet those newer MBP's contain nVidia's chipset and video chip. My thinking is, if it took nVidia well over a year to come clean about possible faults on their gfx chips, how can we be sure there isn't a production fault on their new chips and chipset?? Ain't there more at stakes here?

Anyway. I've own the MBP Santa Rosa with 128MB GeForce 8800M GT since it's release in 2007 and nowt has gone wrong with the graphics on my display!!:) People say you have to be heating it up and cooling it down... well, mines always seems to be crunching through Motion or sitting idle 24/7 and it's still ticking!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
It's funny... Everyone seems to be worried about the last gens because they contain a nVidia video chip, yet those newer MBP's contain nVidia's chipset and video chip. My thinking is, if it took nVidia well over a year to come clean about possible faults on their gfx chips, how can we be sure there isn't a production fault on their new chips and chipset?? Ain't there more at stakes here?

Anyway. I've own the MBP Santa Rosa with 128MB GeForce 8800M GT since it's release in 2007 and nowt has gone wrong with the graphics on my display!!:) People say you have to be heating it up and cooling it down... well, mines always seems to be crunching through Motion or sitting idle 24/7 and it's still ticking!

Surely they wouldn't be idiotic enough to make the same mistake twice?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Surely they wouldn't be idiotic enough to make the same mistake twice?

Who knows?
It's nVidia we're talking about right?
Guess only time will tell! :D

Well, I just brought one of the discontinued 2.5Ghz Penryn MBP's for backup!
At a clearance sale for $1300, it's a bargain!!

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I've always used nvidia cards and never had a thing go wrong with them. The c*ck up with the last gen MBP seems a one off.

Either way, Apple care and you don't need to worry.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I've always used nvidia cards and never had a thing go wrong with them. The c*ck up with the last gen MBP seems a one off.

Either way, Apple care and you don't need to worry.

Yea, especially since the formally admitted the problem affecting some of the cards and extended the warrenty w/o applecare.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
Buying the older model pros: You can get a matte screen and some like the design better
Cons: you don't get the latest specs and you get a known faulty gpu. Even if it doesn't fail in the two years you have it, the resale value will be less than selling a laptop w/o a known, admitted problem.

Google nvidia 8600 and "bad" or "fail" and you'll see that they are all bad. nvidia didn't set aside two hundred million dollars to cover the replacements for nothing. The fact that not all of them have failed yet has to do with the way the user has used their machine and that some of them have only been owned a few months.

I was weighing the pros and cons of this myself. I like to either hold onto my hardware forever (one of my computers is a TiPb from 2000) or resell it. And I won't resell a laptop with a 8600 w/o warning the buyer.

nitewolfgtr

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
You have to realize that the last gen MBP was amazing and just because the release of new MBP doesn't make the last gen crap. They are still amazing laptops and will be for a long time.

I personally bought the new gen MBP cuz I could afford it but if you can't, going with the last gen is perfectly fine. I still love the last gen design and being last gen, you can get some amazing deals!

As far as the glass screen, I'm sure it is durable and impact resistant as the iphone screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.