Is it susceptible to "virus attacks" like pcs while surfing the net?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by snowshine, Jan 3, 2008.

1. snowshine macrumors newbie

Does anybody have any idea as if the ipod touch is vulnerable to "virus attacks" while browising on the net through safari&Wi-Fi? Do one need to find a virus scanner like McAfee or Norton ect?

snow

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I have absolutely no knowledge regarding viruses and such, but from what I know, a jailbroken touch would be more susceptible. This would be due to the Tiff exploit allowing for files to be downloaded to the touch, but with the Tiff exploit fix, I dont think so.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

No. There are no known viruses that affect the iPod at present (it's not susceptible to Windows viruses).

4. CVV1 macrumors member

CVV1

\there probably could be viruses... but there wouldnt be a point. there really isnt any personal information.

5. snowshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes you have a valid point CVV1.
    However what do you feel regard to annoying "popups". Does it need to be blocked or it is not a reconised problem in here?

snow

6. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any more pop ups than on my mac pro,which is very few.

7. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I highly doubt that there are many, if any, viruses made for the iPod touch. Even if there are and you happen to get one, just restore it via iTunes.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In fact, iPods/iPhones running the version of firmware where that TIFF exploit was an issue, were actually more vulnerable before being jailbroken than they were after. Part of the (most popular) technique for jailbreaking that particular version of firmware actually involved installing a patch for the TIFF vulnerability as soon as the jailbreaking proper was complete, which actually left the iPod/iPhone more secure than the factory default condition.

Of course, the most recent version of firmware also addresses that same vulnerability.

9. iheartcanada macrumors member

Yeah, but a program placed into and ipod could be placed into a machine while docked.