Is it the Appstore or Crappstore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Is it the Appstore or Crappstore?

1. Appstore

52 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Crappstore

50 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. yalag macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what's happening but the appstore has lost it really. I find myself not visiting the appstore much nowadays. It's just too painful having to go through 500 farts and 300 silly gimmicks to find that one useful app. Now I just rely on people telling me which app is good.

What happened to the appstore? Are you guys feeling the same? Has it finally crossed the line to become the "Crappstore"?

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

There might be more crap in there than there used to be, but the whole thing isn't crap.

When I find a store of any kind where I love EVERY item in it, I will probably be dead and in heaven.

Because to date, I have yet to find one. :D

3. jjp03x macrumors newbie

jjp03x

I rarely use it now because the crappy apps outweigh the usefull ones even in the top 25 categories. I think they should also allow you to search through apps by highest rating and not just most downloaded.

4. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    When I first visited the Appstore after getting my iPhone I was really disappointed by how much rubbish is there, but there are a few gems amongst it all, though I tend to rely on recommendations a lot as they mean you don't have to sift through the dreck!

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Apple Store?

6. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

I use AppSniper to check for new stuff. You can filter categories, so you avoid a lot of the 'crap'. Best 59p I ever spent. I rarely browse the iTunes AppStore now.

7. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

But that wouldn't work well because some people rate crappy apps, or crapps, high.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's almost all crap.

They should really put subcategories inside the categories for stuff like:

Novelty Apps
    Sound Machines
    Rude (fart or sex stuff)

I also hate how if someone makes a 1 touch dialer, they'll change the icon 20 times and upload each one as a separate app... that sucks... same thing happens when someone makes a sports team app or countdown apps.

I don't know why I even bother looking at the new releases anymore.

9. eneisch macrumors 6502

For games I like http://www.toucharcade.com. Their front page usually reviews new games and they have a section that highlights newly released games and price drops. I also like http://www.appshopper.com, but they don't have the reviews that toucharcade does.

10. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

At least Apple has one. Better than Blackberry or Nokia where you gotta search 4000 websites to find apps.

Yes there is crap but also a lot of useful apps. You make a valid point though.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Dunno about Nokia, but Handango was always the main place to go for WinMo and Blackberry apps. And it's been around for a decade.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

App Store, though there is a lot of crap, get what you want.
    There is something out there for everyone, if you don't like something, don't get it.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

95% of the stuff in the App Store is CRAP!

So, 19,000 of the 20,000 apps are CRAP!

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Sorry.

I am a Windows fan boy, so no. :D

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I gave up browsing in there long ago. I rely on word of mouth.

16. Acronym macrumors 68000

i agree windows is alo better then apple

hence why i call it crapple but i still sift through the appstore if i rmemeber an app i heard about or had seen then isearch for it

17. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Windows store :p

18. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Um, i have a question then. Why are you in a Mac forum?

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Probably for the iPhone stuff.

20. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I enjoy the app store and have no problem with it what so ever. Would like to see some things like a video recording app, and MMS from Apple, but what can you do?...

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I never browse through the App Store anymore - haven't done so in over 4 months. It's just impossible/wasteful to do so. I rely on word of mouth (this site) and appshopper.com.

If there was no app store, I would probably just have to visit 10-20 developer websites (or a few good message boards) to get my fix. This would be a problem at all since the majority of apps I download from the app store I end up never using after a couple hours/days anyway.

However, the App Store does provide me with a very efficient way of updating apps. I wouldn't want to search 10-20 websites for possible updates (if they didn't automatically tell you one was available).

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

These days, I'd guess that over half of worldwide iPhone owners are non-Mac owners.

And that's likely to be even more true for the iPod touch.

23. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Its becoming more and more difficult to find decent apps in the app store. It seems that quantity is overcoming quality in the app store. There is so much useless crap in the app store. I'm just glad humans don't come from there because god knows what we would find .

Attached Files:

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I was looking through the sports section the other day and the first 20 apps were by one developer, one app for each college team.

25. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

They're cranking them out like assembly lines. I hate it when one person creates twenty apps that are the same thing but the name is changed (usually for sports teams). I mean can he try to milk the consumer any more?

I wish there was a way to seperate all the crap from the good stuff but thats impossible because to me what might be good might be crap to someone else