Is it the right time for Mac Pro!Help please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by survivor, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. survivor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #1
    i've been waiting for around 3 months now to upgrade my PowerMac 5G Quad. I always go for the best of the line to stands with me for around 5-6 years! To tell you a brief of my job. i'm a video photographer, I use FCP.i'm also a photographer, and a designer as well. I use huge formart for Video like HD and for graphic I use so huge files for Printing posters etc. So i wonder do you guess think its the right time for me to update? or still wait little longer to see a new speed with the same price as the 2.9... like 3.2 or something? how is the new proccessor? i'm not so much into hardware honestly i'm just a professional in my Field!i just know how to open FCT,Photoshop.Illus.Indesign and sometimes Apreture! nothing else! when it comes to hardwear i'm not much aware of such things and one more thing shall I wait for the new Snow operating System? how long you guess it will be released?

    thanks in advance!
     
  2. MattZani macrumors 68030

    MattZani

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    The 2.9Ghz Octo Core is ALOT faster than the 3.2Ghz '08 Octo, because it uses the i7 Chipset.

    I Would go with the 2.9Ghz Right now, i Doubt you will be reaching its limits.
     
  3. survivor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #3
    thanks for your reply. what about the new operating system Snow? any upcoming graphic cards soon?
     
  4. survivor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
  5. aaquib macrumors 65816

    aaquib

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #5
    Snow Leopard is really up to you. There will be a significant performance boost that you will notice, but the real question is if the $129(or less) is worth waiting until sometimes this Summer(most likely July).
     
  6. survivor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #6
    thanks for the reply, but what about the 3.2 GHz will it be out sometimes soon or that's it for now?
     
  7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #7
    No new graphics cards until the next update a year from now.

    Probably won't happen.
     
  8. survivor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #8
    Finally i made my decision and just ordered Mac Pro 8 core 2.93 with 16 gb of ram 512 graphic card:) can't wait to see the differnces between it and my old Power G5 Quad


    Regards
     

Share This Page