Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jugglemyplums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I recently bought a macbook pro that came with leopard on it and it is eligible to purchase the Snow Leopard upgrade with for $9.95. I want to know if this is the full version of snow leopard same as if I payed the $29 for it or is it like an upgrade disc just for that computer, like the restore discs that come with a new computer? The reason I am asking is I also want to put it on my older macbook pro as well and I don't want to buy a limited version. If it is I will buy the $29 one. Is it the same as the $29 one?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
No it isn't the same. And if you are going to be putting it on two or more Macs, you should purchase the Family Pack for $49.

jugglemyplums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Actually it's pretty much just for my older macbook pro. I bought the newer one for my girlfriend who couldn't really care less about the latest OS. So it's only going on the older macbook pro, even though technically it COULD go on both. haha. But it's not the same? I'm just trying to save $20 if I can.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Actually it's pretty much just for my older macbook pro. I bought the newer one for my girlfriend who couldn't really care less about the latest OS. So it's only going on the older macbook pro, even though technically it COULD go on both. haha. But it's not the same? I'm just trying to save $20 if I can.

It is not the same, in so far as how it determines the eligibility of your machine. It has additional checks.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Are you so sure? From what I've heard, it's the same full version of Snow Leopard. Also, what "additional checks" are you talking about?

The UTD is not the same in regards to how it checks your machine. It looks for specific hardware IDs that would not have shipped with Leopard. The information is around the forum.

In terms of content, sure the UTD disc is the same. In terms of what you can install it on, it is not. Since the OP said they wanted to put it on an older MBP, it was necessary to mention that the discs are not the same.

I am not sure what your definition of "the same" is, but there are two possible ways of defining it, and I made clear my definition of "the same." You are welcome to search here for details on the differences of the UTD disc. I don't know how you could have "heard' they are the same with the overwhelming amount of information here suggesting they are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.