Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
One way to test whether the blacks problem is a screen hardware issue or one that could be fixed in software could be: view the same image two or three different ways:

Pick a given scene and view it

-as video on your Touch
-as a screenshot downloaded to the Touch & viewed through Photos
-as a screenshot uploaded to the Web & viewed through Safari

Doing this, a scene that's nearly unintelligible (just one big dark mass) in video is a bit more distinct in Photo. Still ain't great, but definitely clearer. I don't have any web publishing capabilities so I can't do test #3.

Others, please try & post experiences here!

EnTg888

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
USA
The same image loaded to Safari (vs image gallery) is a LITTLE better but far worse than the iphones i tried it with instore.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks - any more thoughts from folks?

EDIT: Further idea - try taking a video screenshot (from a scene that displays bad) and using it as your wallpaper - that should REALLY clear up the "well, the menu screen's fine" question.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
im starting to notice what people are talking about with the "negative blacks", and I'm pretty sure it's the hardware, because:

- its the same when viewing an episode of "Lost" (darkest show ever made)
- when viewing a dark photo with alot of black
- on the main menu background
- on the coverflow background

It looks normal if the left side of the screen is slightly farther away than the right, but yeah, it appears to be a hardware problem.

Still can't decide if it bothers me enough to return it.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
It's the hardware. Software can't change the video in relation to your viewing angle.

My iPod viewed straight on looks a lot like my MacBook when viewed from a 55 degree vertical.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
It's the hardware. Software can't change the video in relation to your viewing angle.

My iPod viewed straight on looks a lot like my MacBook when viewed from a 55 degree vertical.

But, if you view the same scene in video, and as an image capture/screenshot in Photos, does it look just as bad? Some of my tests indicate not - Photos looks better. If it's the screen, it should display the same colors just as poorly no matter what mode you're in.

im starting to notice what people are talking about with the "negative blacks", and I'm pretty sure it's the hardware, because:

- its the same when viewing an episode of "Lost" (darkest show ever made)
- when viewing a dark photo with alot of black
- on the main menu background
- on the coverflow background

It looks normal if the left side of the screen is slightly farther away than the right, but yeah, it appears to be a hardware problem.

Still can't decide if it bothers me enough to return it.

Thanks. This is helpful. And it raises a good point: Cover Flow. I have some album covers with dark art/photos loaded, and the stuff all looks really very good in CF. If this was hardware, Cover Flow should look like crap too. One would think.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Cover Flow. I have some album covers with dark art/photos loaded, and the stuff all looks really very good in CF. If this was hardware, Cover Flow should look like crap too. One would think.

It's not as pronounced on my touch, in coverflow, but it still does the same thing.

And "look like crap" isn't how I would describe this. The blacks just sorta "brighten" and "wash out" when viewed straight on. Most people would never, ever notice. I wouldn't have, until I visited these blasted forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Further data: tried some portions of Empire Strikes Back (the "there are so many uncharted settlements...it could be smugglers" part). Definitely a little tough to view. But oddly enough, both the video of and a screen-capture of Vader have much better light reflections & contrast on Vader's helmet than do the same video & jpeg files when viewed on my Mac via QuickTime and Preview. The blacks fade a bit, but the light looks great.

In other words, the Touch may look a little better!

This device is random. I'm starting to think I have a better one than most, and may live with it/pray for a software fix.

K Wal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
It's not as pronounced on my touch, in coverflow, but it still does the same thing.

And "look like crap" isn't how I would describe this. The blacks just sorta "brighten" and "wash out" when viewed straight on. Most people would never, ever notice. I wouldn't have, until I visited these blasted forums.

I'm in the same boat I would've never noticed but since I read it her I HAD to check. Last night I put 300 on it and in the really dark scenes I can tell but overall it does alright for a portable device and doesn't distract from the viewing pleasure anymore than the small screen (which is why I won't be watching that many movies, I bought it more for music and wifi)

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Do you guys have the ambient light sensor / auto brightness adjuster activated? Have you tried viewing the same video in dim light as well as bright daylight with it on/off? Same effect? Just curious. No logical basis for this question at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.