Is it the $$$?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tomegun, Feb 29, 2012.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have a friend that has had both the iPad 1 and iPad 2 that does not plan on getting the iPad 3. I have known him for more than 20 years so I know enough about him to believe what he says. I'm not so sure I feel the same way about others.

Are some people not getting the iPad 3 - or at least saying they aren't getting it - based on money? There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with not getting a new iPad3 or anything else because of finances. What I don't like is when people constantly justify it by saying there is no value in the upgrades.

I am a perfect example of this with the iPhone 3GS and 4S. If I would have been able to get either device without jumping through some serious hoops, I would have had them. At the time, I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg to get them for full price. I could have afforded it, but I didn't want to...because of the money.

I didn't spend any time at all saying that the upgrades weren't worth it and that is the reason I didn't get them. I didn't get them because I didn't want to pay twice the amount that others were paying. Period.

I am saying all of this to say I think at least some people justify not getting the latest widget or gizmo because there is no value to the updated model when in fact it has to do with finances. I wish people didn't think this was necessary - there is nothing wrong with keeping your money in your pocket or not having the money to keep up with the Joneses.

2. deeddawg macrumors 603

You're splitting hairs.

In the context of making or not making a purchase, value and money are intrinsically linked. The product does or does not provide value in excess of the value of the money needed for the purchase.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have the money.

I didn't think the iPhone 4 was such a big improvement over my 3GS to justify upgrading. I didn't think the iPad 2 was worth my upgrading from the 1. However, I did get an iPhone 4S when I fried my 3GS. And I will get an iPad 3 because I am tired of the memory issues with my iPad 1. But these are MY issues and MY opinions.

Live and let live, OP. If one has disposable income, one can dispose of it as they see fit. If having the latest and greatest makes someone happy, who are you to pass judgement?

4. wkoalmc2011 macrumors newbie

Well for me it is because I purchase an iPad 2 late in December, if I can get the amount of money I am asking for it I will upgrade, however if I don't I will still enjoy the iPad 2 just as much.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Value is not an objective essential property. Someone might say "The new model offers no value (to me)", which in other words means "it would be no upgrade to me" (especially if the changes would be unused or unnoticed) and it's perfectly true.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

value is tricky. i'd say it is how much the iPad is worth to the individual compared to other products. so, blanket statements don't carry much weight here.

i considered the latest iphone to be a worthwhile purchase. someone else might not. neither of us is right or wrong.

one person's ipad might replace their laptop, while another's might simply be a way to watch movies or check email in bed without waking up their spouse. so, purchasing decisions will be based on a whole lot of factors that vary according to the use or situation. it's not whether you can "afford it", but whether "you" think it is "worth it" for you.

for me, the ipad 3 is a no-brainer. for some people, the ipad is still uninteresting because it lacks X.

meh. live and let live :)

7. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Let the flames begin!

A bunch of us joke about this very same thing. While there are a few who will choose to forego the latest generation item for legitimate reason, I too suspect that a large percentage of the rest who claim to do the same cannot.

Which is fine! Times are hard! some feel the need to...bend the truth...but at the end of the day, what can you do?

It CAN be rather amusing at times. they'll talk about the latest and greatest and give the GENERIC reasons as to what's wrong with it, as justification as to why they won't be getting it. At the office, we rib each other around this topic--but in the end, it's all fun and games.

"So the Three's coming out, huh? I heard it's going to be the same. The Two is fast enough for me--so I'm not getting it."
    "No...you're not getting it 'CAUSE YOU'RE BROKE...don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

"The Three's coming out NEXT WEEK. You KNOW I'll be online for that badboy!"
    "Shut up. You'll get the Three when the EIGHT comes out....GTFOH."

8. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I guess Hero XXL is the only one that really got what I was saying. I have had situations where there was no functional value for me, or I didn't want to pay the money even though I may or may not have had the money.

I am sorry if what I wrote read as a blanket statement, it wasn't meant that way. I'm also not passing judgement on anything except this: I'm sure there are people out there who aren't getting the iPad because they either don't have the money or don't want to spend the money. If someone came out and said that it is very understandable. I don't like it when someone trashes the new/different product because they don't have the money or don't want to pay for something.

This discussion was started in a lighthearted manner when the thought crossed my mind.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

sorry not to get it. my point was only that people calculate value in different ways. i took it lighthearted, even if i sounded like a downer.

justifications for their calculations are another thing entirely. i guess i don't know anyone who "can't" purchase an ipad. if you have a job, i think it is pretty unlikely that you can't. it's only 500 dollars. my first car cost more than that, and i was a kid working summer jobs to pay for it.

but, i know lots of people who (for example) aren't willing to give up beer this year to pay for it. or, who would prefer to buy their kids new clothes next school year instead. i bet there are also people out there (like me) selling off everything that isn't bolted down in the house to come up with the funds :)

without justifications, the world would be a distressing place. how else do we explain why we kill people (it's war, so it's ok), cheat on our spouses (she's changed), or put off our work to write on forums like this (it's just a short break before i really buckle down and get something done)!