Is it time for a FCE upgrade?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ab2650, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2007
    I'm looking to buy Final Cut Express, but I'm so hesitant about a product that's last major upgrade was November 2007. To be honest, I can't think of anything I'm holding out for, in terms of features, so I'm not sure why I would wait.

    I just wanted to gauge the community's thoughts about the next major release of FCE coming sometime this year. Anyone have any guesses for FCE 4.5 or 5.0?
  2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a


    Jul 3, 2008
    Edinburgh, U.K.
    Classic Mac-related question there, following the usual format:
    My guess is - later.

    Sorry I can't be of any more help. I'm not trying to me a smart-ass (it comes naturally), but really, what good is guessing gonna do ya?
  3. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2007
    'bout $150. :D

    Yeah, I understood I was asking the same question that everyone hates: "When does the new iSomething come out?!" I'm mostly looking to see what the DV community was thinking about 2-year old product... Is an near-future upgrade warranted or does it do just about everything one would need it to do right now.
  4. FSMBP macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2009
    It's definitely due for an upgrade of sorts some, BUT as an avid editor (non-professional), I feel FCE 4 offers almost everything I need.

    It's got great effects, awesome interface, you can key out colors, overlay, and do great titles with Live Type.

    However, it does lack image stabilization (i.e. iMovie '09) and batch capture abilities. I'm guessing image stabilization will be brought in to the new version.

    If the current FCE is compatible with your camera (ex. if you have a hard-drive based one) and you're looking for great editor, go for it. Look up tutorials on Apple's website, and see how it flows too.
  5. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2007
    Thanks for your information. Honestly, I'll probably end up buying FCE4 just to have something now. I'm fairly familiar with using FCE. Not that it plays into this, but all the source material I'll be using in it are old analog tapes (passed from a VCR through a Mini-DV cam). I really just need a more powerful tool than iMovie.
  6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

    Oct 20, 2008
    I bought my copy of premiere pro 1.5 right before 2.0 came out. I don't really regret it. I got it for a great deal on ebay along with after effects. Look at the advantage of getting an older product; you can get it used on the cheap. If you find you can't live without a new feature, just buy the upgrade package.
  7. acearchie macrumors 68040


    Jan 15, 2006
    In previous years the "express" version of final cut has always been released several months after the new studio or final cut.

    There fore if you can hold out a few months for Studio 2.5/3 and then some extra for express then don't upgrade.

    See if you can pick up a cheap copy on eBay or craigslist which would keep you entertained whilst you wait and save some cash!
  8. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2007
    Well, with today's release of a new version of Studio / Pro, I think I may wait a few months and see what's around the bend.
  9. FSMBP macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2009
    Smart move...I was hoping you didn't spring for FCE 4 already (I hope you were going to purchase within the next couple weeks).

    FCE 4.5 or FCE 5 will probably be released in a couple months like you said.

Share This Page