is it time for a new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joannemuck, Feb 24, 2011.

1. joannemuck macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out if its time for a new computer....My mac is almost 6 years old and I am using all of the RAM. I am a designer and I run both photoshop and illustrator and I have a lot of photos and music. I have a back up hard drive and I know I could store more things there, but I just looked at how much RAM and memory I have and after comparing that to what is now available, I am wondering if it would be easier to upgrade to a newer model? Or can I add more RAM???

Thanks in advance~

2. scottdot macrumors member

scottdot

If you need a new Mac, buy a new Mac.

What are you using currently? I am still doing lots of Photoshop and Illustrator work on a 7 year old aluminum PowerBook G4. It's definitely time for an upgrade. I'm holding out for rev'd iMacs. With today's new MacBook Pro release, I'm sure iMacs will follow suit in the coming weeks/months.

3. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I'm also waiting for a new iMac... Today's MBP-update was quite underwhelming, so I'm interested to see what they're going to do with the iMac. Thunderbolt has to be added at the very least, and I honestly can't imagine anyone buying a Mac without Thunderbolt right now.

4. joannemuck thread starter macrumors newbie

My interest is piqued regarding the new imacs! I think I have 232.57 GB of ram? 2 GB of memory and a processing speed of 2.16 ghz.....

5. room271 macrumors member

If you can wait until the update I would recommend that.

The iMacs are almost certainly going to be upgraded in the first half of this year, and quite possibly in the next month or so.

6. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

With Apple you are best off buying right after a product refresh since they don't really lower prices very often. I would wait just so you can get an iMac with one of the new Thunderbolt connectors since you wouldn't be able to add one otherwise.

7. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

You think?!

I don't agree. I think it's a considerable improvement. Particularly toward the top-end of the range.

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thunderbold will come to all Mac's soon , so prepare to sell your ancient Mac without thunderbold you cant use a Mac any longer as a computer , just as a
    paperweight

9. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Quad-cores are nice, but I wouldn't buy a mobile device with a Superdrive in 2011. If they had offered a combination of HSS and SSD, I would have considered the 17". As things stand, I'll have to go for an iMac with an SSD and an HDD.

10. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, my MBP is 3.5 years old and doesn't perform as well as it used to. Now that Thunderbolt has been introduced, I'd have to be an idiot to buy a new Mac without this port.

11. Bye Bye Baby, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I am undecided with between a new mac pro and an iMac. I am waiting to see what the new iterations will be like.

I would like to see apple introduce a few things into both- namely flash storage and SSDs.

come on apple- give us thunderbolt or light peak or whatever you want to call it and give us new displays that cut the cable clutter.