is it time for a new mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ripplygoose, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ripplygoose macrumors newbie

i got a ibook G4 2 years ago or so and it only has 512mbs of ram with a 1.42GHZ processor and a 60gb hard drive. now i was just recently was looking at the MBP and im pretty sure i want one. do you think its too soon?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Because you are going from PPC to Intel then I would say go for it because Intel is the future.

4. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

If you still have 40 GB of storage left and all you do is listen to iTunes, surf the web and get emails your machine should be fine. Are you having problems with your iBook? If so, what are the problems?

But I think it is always time to buy a new Mac. If you want a new one, get it!

5. ripplygoose thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking of just updating with leopard but i figure my ibook wont handle it too well, let alone support for it will probaly be stopped soon if it hasnt been already.

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

absolutely go for it. PPC iBooks have limitations and are exponentially growing as Intel and Intel Apps move further with it. Just the fact that you are considering a MBP, says enough: you want more power. You won't find much of that in the iBook.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, support for a system usually doesn't randomly stop in the middle of an operating system's life cycle. You're iBook is plenty supported and will be at least until the next operating system is released - and maybe even beyond that.

Your main problem is your memory. Take that to 2 GB and you'll be golden. Memory + Leopard is a few hundred dollar investment that will greatly improve your computer and be much cheaper than a new system. 1.42 Ghz G4 is no slouch.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The iBook will handle it fine with more ram added. Support won't stop for PPC until several more years.

9. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I would say wait a little while longer as it's inevitable the MBP will update eventually and I think soon... so commit yourself to the idea that you want a new mac, a MBP perhaps, but don't buy it till it's updated, otherwise you'll be sorry. That being said I can't see it not lasting you longer than 2 years.