is it time for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hayden.ostrom9, Jul 27, 2011.

1. hayden.ostrom9 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have had this early 2007 Macbook since the day it came out and I have kept it in pristine condition. I recently upgraded the RAM in it to 2 GBs and have kept up with all the latest software except lion. Recently my battery just died in it as well. What I'm wondering is if you guys think it would be worth fixing it and upgrading the HDD to SSD and getting more RAM or get a bottom of the line 13 inch MBA instead. I'd really appreciate what your guy's input, thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's 4 years old, kinda dated IMO. Id sell it if possible and get a new mbp or MBA

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Not worth the effort of a new SSD, RAM and battery. Get a new MBA 13", it is one of the best laptops on the market, and you'll have both the RAM and the SSD and a computer that will last for years.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have often thought it rather strange that some individuals will wish to rush out and buy a new computer every time there is an upgrade, simply to have the "latest".

In your case, your computer is clearly well past its best, (four years old, although well looked after, battery gone, and you are thinking of a RAM upgrade and installing SSD). No, it has done its job. I'd go along with the others who have posted; instead of upgrading, sell and get a new one.

The current 13" MBA (the one that has just been upgraded) is an excellent computer; I'd suggest that you buy one, and, if you do not especially like it, there will be a MBP upgrade sometime in the next year which should more than meet your needs.

Cheers

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Personally I'd just spend the $275 on upgrades.

- 128GB SSD $200
    - 2GB RAM Module $25 (the max is 3GB on the 07's unless you have an end of the year Santa Rosa which holds 6GB, you already have 2x1GB)
    - Battery $50 (third party through eBay)

Now your Macbook should have plenty of pep to go another three years. Rather than spending $1300 on an Air. Which will only last about as long as your Macbook will. Due to it being capped at 4GB RAM.

Think of what that $1000 saved could buy you rather than a moderate boost. I'd at least go for the Macbook Pro which can hold more RAM, has a wide selection of SSD upgrades, can hold two drives with an Optibay, costs less and will have a longer useful life.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Time for a new one since you never know what may go next. If you have a microcenter.com store nearby consider getting a base 13" MBP for only $999 (sale is for in-store purchase only). You can later upgrade the ram or drive as needed.

7. jim4spam macrumors member

I was in the same position about 2 months ago, when the battery in my 2007 MacBook decided to swell.

For me, I figured that it was worth about 400USD, so was it worth pouring money into? In the end, I chose to keep the MacBook connected to my TV and use it for TV streaming, simple webbrowsing (i.e. games with young kids), and for showing photos to visitors. (Side note: Lion's full screen feature does this really nicely). For this I didn't need a battery, so I run it without a battery.

We replaced it with a refurb store 13" MBP, which were going for 1019USD. Part of the reason was the requirements of using photoshop etc where 2Gb was a limitation and I decided to put the money into a new one rather than 150bucks+ into a new one.

My philosophy on computers is that the cost is quite low compared to the hours of pleasure you'll get from it. Dollars spent per hour of entertainment, its miles cheaper than anything else in life. So push the boat out and get yourself a newer MBP. (They are gorgeous to use, by the way.)

I hope this helps
    JIm.

8. Ronald Williams macrumors member

its obviously cheaper to upgrade rather than buying all new but yours is old and if possible get a new one.

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Looking at it you could sell it now on ebay and probably get $300 for it, so that's $300 towards a new MBA. Plus the savings from not upgrading the current MB.

That said the 2007 MB can run lion fine (my 2006 MB is o.k.)

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Depends if you're willing to spend the money for a new system. Seeing as the battery is shot and you only have 2 gigs, you'd be lucky to get 250 out of it. Now you could buy a battery, some RAM, and a new HDD for a little over 100 bucks and have a much faster, usable laptop.

If it's in great condition and you don't have any problems with it, there's no reason why you can't upgrade it and use it for another year.

The new MBAs are great, however, so if you want to sell it and spend the rest towards it, that's a good option also.