Is it time for iPhone (physically) rounded corners to be made square?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ralfi, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I ask because with the iPhone X, video/games/photos are cropped when viewed in full screen & the only way to see them in their entirety is the double tap & shrink the viewable area, which leaves black bars on all sides (or at least 2 sides).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the iPhone were to have square corners instead of rounded ones, couldn't the full screen display a crop-free image (aspect ratio is what I'm not sure about)?

What I'm after is an iPhone that can display a movie/photo/game, full screen & with its original aspect ratio. Or at the very least, if we have a notch to contend with, utilise the area below the notch & all the way to the bottom of the phone where square corners would be.

Edit... Sony's phones are an example of a design I wouldn't mind. The sentimental value of iPhones rounded corners mean less to me than having a more practical use of screen real estate.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Maybe, but I'm also guessing that square corners would cause even more problems when people drop their phones.

3. deannnnn macrumors 68020

deannnnn

What do you mean "is it time?" Every iPhone to date has a screen with square corners. iPhone X will be the first iPhone without it.

4. rapicell macrumors regular

I think they mean the structure of the phone, not the screen itself

5. Ralfi, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I mean square to the edge, as in the phone was a rectangular slab, so that full screen use occupied more of the front face whilst retaining full aspect ratio.

I'd take that over not being able to see the whole/more screen in use as the director intended.

6. Nic727 macrumors member

Nic727

I prefer rounded since it's smoother in pockets.

7. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

I prefer rounded edges. Better design and more comfortable to hold.