Is it time that we have spilt screen multitasking for the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jan 30, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Got to admit I liked it when I had my Samsung note ¾ and I love it on my new ipad pro do you think this is something that apple should bring to the iphone or mainly the plus? Would you like to see this?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

3. meowdude macrumors newbie

4. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

It won't be coming to any older iPads, only the Air 2, Mini 4, and Pro. The older models don't have enough RAM to keep up with running 2 apps simultaneously.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2016 ---
    I would like to see it on the Plus models, but on the smaller 4.7" it would be a pretty bad user experience I would imagine.

5. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Maybe for the 6 plus, but I think spit screen on the 4.7 would be a bit too small.

6. jasie02, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Apple will likely introduce new iPhone 7+ with split screen feature in iOS 10, but will only activated when wear a Apple special magnified glasses thicker than iPhone 7 itself, so they won't get complain or return for someone think fonts are too small on that 2+" half screen.

Added: Apple will also announce split screen on 5se, 7 & Apple Watch, since they are going to release special magnified glasses for 7+, so why not also offer for 5se, 7 and AW. No sense to not offer split screen on all Apple device, as long as your wear that thick special magnified glasses.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Even on the 5.5" 6 plus it is rather small. I have a Bible study app that allows me to have a Bible and commentary open at the same time, and it is rather small.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Possibly for the 6+ with the option to turn it off if we want.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I would use it on the plus models. i like the two panel views in the settings app and email when in landscape. I don't think it would be too small and if it is, people could just decide not to use it.

Provided it isn't a performance or battery killer, I think it would be great.

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I can see them adding it in iOS 10 for the 6s Plus only (and then the iPhone 7 Plus in the Fall).

11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I agree that they may make it plus only to get people to pay more for the bigger size.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think it would be a great feature to add to the iPhone along with pip. This is one feature of the Samsung Galaxy Note i would like Apple to add to the iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 7 Plus (when it's announced in September). It's possible we could see it in IOS 10. It will be interesting to see what Apple have planned for IOS 10, especially considering IOS 9 was not as feature heavy.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You say it like it would be a cash grab, but I can't see it being at all practical on a 4.7" screen. Seriously, what are you going to do running an app on half of a less than 5" screen? I have my doubts about it even being practical on the plus models. There's a reason why the iPad mini is the smallest iOS device that can use this feature even though the latest phones have enough RAM.

14. Ortiz7983 Suspended

They need something to sell the iPad. If they put it for he phones, less sales on iPad because of it.

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Does not make sense. This is why Apple only does it for the iPad. Large enough screen on the iPad to accommodate it.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Like I said earlier in the thread it is barely useful on a 5.5" I can't imagine it what it would be like on a 4.7" screen.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

And, as I said, it's just not practical on small screens. This is why tablets still have some advantages over phones. Larger displays allow for greater functionality in some areas, such as splitting that display into smaller sections and still expecting it to be usable. In my opinion, even the iPad mini barely has just enough screen real estate to make split screen usable. The phones simply don't, so it's not about marketing or cash grabs.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2016 ---
    I can't imagine why people think it would be at all useful. Perfect example of wanting a feature just for the sake of it being there, regardless of if it actually provides any benefit.

18. Send72nj macrumors newbie

I think it would be very useful. Device size does not contradict usefulness at all!!! You can fit different character limits(like sentences,apps) on different device sizes no?
    As far as pip, YouTube uses pip quite nicely regardless of ram!!!
    It's just apples way of getting buyers to upgrade,me being one of them!!!

19. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I'd be happy with Youtube videos minimising to the bottom corner when you start a video and then quit out of the Youtube app. Just like you get on the iPad now - would be perfect on the plus.

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't know ... it could be useful, but on a 4.7" it seems to be hardly usable.
    Maybe on the iPhone 6S+ ...

21. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

MW is something I use every now and then on my iPad, but never on my phone. Big as it may be, the full screen is not big enough to do any real stuff on, let alone half the screen. Add it if you really want, Apple, but I'm not buying it.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Id love this on the 6s plus, mostly for when I need to reference a website for something.