Is it time to buy a New iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Avro, May 1, 2016.

1. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

My current 2010 64GB iPod Touch is on its last legs. Battery life is down to less than an hour. I use it mainly to listen to music and podcasts at the gym or around the house and I prefer using it for those things as my iPhone 6 Plus is just too big to use comfortably for casual listening. I currently use about 37GB on it, so I will probably look at replacing it with a 64 GB 6th Gen iPod Touch.

I notice in the Buyers Guide, it comes under the 'Don't Buy' category as an update is coming 'soon'. I have to say that I have my doubts about that as replacement cycles seem to have stretched out rather a lot and I have heard no rumours about a new iPod Touch.

I am going to be away a lot over the next few months with work and holidays and I would like to get a new 6th Gen iPod Touch, but does anyone think that a replacement is just around the corner?

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You will not see a new iPod Touch till the newest version of IOS has a hard time running on it. That is most likely years down the road. Buy the Touch now if you need / want one.

3. Avro thread starter macrumors regular

Avro

Going for a 64GB Blue One

4. Fthree macrumors 6502a

im not trying to take over the thread intentionally (just don't want to make a new one and clog up more space..) what do y'all think about a nano? I run a lot and hate carrying my phone with me. The ONLY thing i cannot figure out is if i could use spotify or not?

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would get a Touch but that's only my preference.

6. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Nano is great for a gym/running device since it is so compact (I have one that I use at the gym) but you will not be able to stream music on it (Apple music, Spotify or otherwise). You can only play music purchased or imported into iTunes and the only way to get music onto it is to sync with iTunes via a Mac or Windows computer as it does not have WiFi (but does have Bluetooth for use of a wireless headset).
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    Good call, not sure why the buyer's guide suggests that it will be updated soon? It seems to be based on the assumption of an annual upgrade, but iPod touches have been on a 2-3 year update cycle for a while and since the 6th generation was released in July 2015 I highly doubt we will see any updates to it any time soon, if ever.

7. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I doubt the current version will be updated until Summer 2018, if at all.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If battery life is the main reason you're upgrading, you might want to consider other options. I'm not speaking from experience, but from everything I've seen, the 6th gen iPod touch's battery life is awful.

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I got the 16GB blue one, it's a lovely colour, have it in a nice case with a clear back so it shows through. And I would just buy one, it has 1GB RAM and an A8 CPU but it's an iPod and runs games better than the iPhone 6, not the S though, so it has plenty of power for playing music etc.
    I would expect a new iPod Touch next year though, maybe this year but I doubt it.

10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I'd like to see some improvements to the IpT6. Well, really a large screen. 4.7" or 5.5".