Is it time to replace 2011 MacBook Pro battery?

scsiguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I inherited my daughters 2011 MacBook Pro and upgraded the RAM and installed an SSD. I just checked the battery on Coconut Battery and attached are the readings. I’ve never used this app so i’m wondering if someone can help decipher the results?

Attachments

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
Really impressive battery health after about 900 cycles! I’m really interested to know your charging habits ;)

Regarding your question: replace your battery only in these cases: it doesn't hold charge, it’s swelling/expanding. As the laptop is already 8 years old, I personally wouldn’t invest money on a new battery unless the battery life is hugely reduced

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
It says that the battery still has 90% capacity which is very good considering the age

scsiguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Really impressive battery health after about 900 cycles! I’m really interested to know your charging habits ;)

Regarding your question: replace your battery only in these cases: it doesn't hold charge, it’s swelling/expanding. As the laptop is already 8 years old, I personally wouldn’t invest money on a new battery unless the battery life is hugely reduced
Like I mentioned...it was my daughter's for many years while she was in school. She upgraded to a Macbook Air. I know she would always wait until battery percent was down to 5-10% before charging. I upgraded the RAM and put in an SSD a year or so ago.

I was doing some research and I agree with you on the battery replacement. A good battery for this laptop is upwards of $100. Not worth the investment to me for this old of a MBP.

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
Like I mentioned...it was my daughter's for many years while she was in school. She upgraded to a Macbook Air. I know she would always wait until battery percent was down to 5-10% before charging. I upgraded the RAM and put in an SSD a year or so ago.

I was doing some research and I agree with you on the battery replacement. A good battery for this laptop is upwards of $100. Not worth the investment to me for this old of a MBP.
That's a little bit weird as it's known that draining the battery down to bellow 10% hearts lithium batteries ‍♂