Is it time to replace my MacBook (Black) battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by applemax, Jul 8, 2009.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2005

I've been having some issues with my battery lately :(

Sometimes, the computer just goes to sleep/shuts down at 30% and the battery drains in around 1-2 hours.

However, after a calibration, everything seems OK.

However, I've already bought a replacement, it's still sealed, and the return date is tomorrow.

So. Open it or send it back? :)

I've got 354 cycles, maximum 3203mAh (out of 5020mAh), i.e. 63% health, and battery age is 30 months.

I just read the Apple website and it says 'up to 5 hours' under certain conditions. In the small print, those 'conditions' are:

wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.

I did a test - left the laptop running, pretty much idle, screen left on at 50%, with sleep turned off in energy saver, with real-time updating websites on the screen. It lasted from a 100% charge for 1 hour 54 mins.

So, would you advise opening the pack ...or sending it back? :D

Cheers :apple:
  2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    At 354 cycles, your battery is at it's end of life according to Apple who says typical battery life/usage up to 300 cycles. So you would be needing a new battery anyway so you're going to want to keep it rather than returning.
  3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks. What does everyone else think? :)
  4. sumzitup macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2009
    New Zealand
  5. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Mar 22, 2007
    how do you find out how many cycles your battery has and stuff?

i've had my macbook nearly two years. i think i've done a calibration only 3 times. but after about a year in i notice when i recharge, the level will show 100% then a day or so after with the power attached, it'll read 99 or 98% with a green light.

edit..found it in the system profiler 254 cycles
  6. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2005
    The reason it shows 99% or 98% is so it doesn't waste part of a cycle. So, it doesn't charge until it drops below around 93%.