Is it time to upgrade? Anything I might miss?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tobasco27, Dec 5, 2015.

1. tobasco27 macrumors member

I've got a MacBook Pro, vintage 2010 era. It's been pretty good for the most part. My main use is primarily for normal internet surfing, favorite websites and email. Other than that, my other use has been storage for my iTunes music (close to 50 GB of music) and iPhoto/Photo (40,000 photos).

I'm not a fan of iCloud yet - so I keep my storage on my computer and also back up to a Time Machine (although I just looked and it says its not recognizing my Time Machine and have no back up - time to check into that!). Any pros and/or cons thoughts on this?

So I'm thinking about upgrading to the latest version of MacPro. My question is whether there is something right around the corner in new features/technology/etc. that I might miss if I upgrade now vs. next year for example. Like I said, my MacBook is still working ok (albeit slower and tempermental at times) and would love to get a new one, but if anyone knows something that I should wait for, that's the feedback I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help!

2. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

You can always wait for the Skylake chipsets to appear in Apple's portable products.
    Don't know how long it will take before the whole line is fully on Skylake. It be another three months.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Most people expect that the next MacBook Pro update will feature a thinner and lighter redesign with better battery life. So if you can wait, you should.

4. Pearl Wisdom macrumors member

You might think about upgrading to an older model right now, otherwise waiting for the Skylake models sounds good. Keep an eye out for good deals on older models right now with all the holiday special sales. I just got a new 2014 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2.5 GHz, 512GB) with Applecare and a few Thunderbolt adapters for about $2000. That was cheaper than the same model refurb from the Apple Store. The benchmarks are 30% faster than my 2011 Macbook Pro plus it has the Retina screen, so it seemed like a good deal. I've only used it a little bit so I haven't formed a real opinion of it yet (along with the El Capitan upgrade compared to my previous Mavericks use). But I think it might be worth thinking about as an improvement from your 2010 model. I got it at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072689-REG/apple_mgxc2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html , but their current price of $1799 is 200 more than I paid.

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

For such light use I doubt upgrading would made sense. Your current Mac should be sufficient for years (barring hardware problems) without problems.

If you absolutely must have the latest then wait until Skylake models are released.

6. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks everyone! Here's to hoping that the Skylake models will come early in 2016. Is that pretty much the only game-changer on the horizon?

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah pretty much although they support USBC (3.1) Thunderbolt 3 and DDR4 we didn't see any of that on the iMacs, I would expect thunderbolt 3 on the skylake rMBP's though.