Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stepaul8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I am currently using a 24 inch mid 2007 iMac, but I have been thinking about upgrading it. I've pretty much wanted a new iMac for around 5 years, but somehow I talked myself out of it because I really didn't need a new one. Now I am thinking about it again, but I still don't know if I need a new one yet. It's not like a do anything intensive, I mainly just web-browse, but that may be because I have little room to do so. I can barely run Civ 5 on the lowest settings. I'm not going to be playing BF4 or CoD on my iMac because I have a PS4, but I wouldn't mind being able to run some bigger programs.

Another reason why I have been thinking about getting a new iMac is because I feel like technology is way ahead of an iMac with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and a 256mb graphics card. This iMac just made the cut for Yosemite, but I highly doubt it will be able to upgrade after that.

So that's my perspective, I was wondering what you guys think I should do. I don't want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but if it is necessary then I will do it. I am very happy that after 7 years, this Mac is still running strong. I would like my next iMac, which I will inevitably get sooner or later, to last this long. If I buy a new iMac, do you think I should wait for the new ones to be released? I talked to a guy at the Apple store who said they'll likely have a chip to be able to watch 4k in, which intrigues me because have 4k will make the iMac last even longer without becoming obsolete. When do you guys think the new iMacs will be released? Thanks!

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Could be a while before the next iMac (at least with Broadwell in it) is released:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/09/broadwell-early-to-mid-2015/

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I'd get a used iMac (either a 2011 or late 2012 model depending on which body style you like), which will save you a significant amount of money but still give you the performance you need for the stuff you need it for (looks like you aren't a power user; neither am I). Figure on either of these machines lasting you between 3 to 5 years, by which time Apple will have certainly come out with at least a second-gen Retina iMac.

I'm running a 2010 iMac with an SSD in it: it's plenty fast for what I need, and I plan to use it until 4K/Retina screens are standard across the Apple lineup; I'm guessing 2016 at the latest.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I am currently using a 24 inch mid 2007 iMac, but I have been thinking about upgrading it. I've pretty much wanted a new iMac for around 5 years, but somehow I talked myself out of it because I really didn't need a new one. Now I am thinking about it again, but I still don't know if I need a new one yet. It's not like a do anything intensive, I mainly just web-browse, but that may be because I have little room to do so. I can barely run Civ 5 on the lowest settings. I'm not going to be playing BF4 or CoD on my iMac because I have a PS4, but I wouldn't mind being able to run some bigger programs.

Another reason why I have been thinking about getting a new iMac is because I feel like technology is way ahead of an iMac with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and a 256mb graphics card. This iMac just made the cut for Yosemite, but I highly doubt it will be able to upgrade after that.

So that's my perspective, I was wondering what you guys think I should do. I don't want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but if it is necessary then I will do it. I am very happy that after 7 years, this Mac is still running strong. I would like my next iMac, which I will inevitably get sooner or later, to last this long. If I buy a new iMac, do you think I should wait for the new ones to be released? I talked to a guy at the Apple store who said they'll likely have a chip to be able to watch 4k in, which intrigues me because have 4k will make the iMac last even longer without becoming obsolete. When do you guys think the new iMacs will be released? Thanks!

At this point, I would probably say to wait and see what comes in the next 6-9 months. It sounds like you are okay with your current setup and you have already got your money's worth out of it.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Given the lengthening delay in Intel's release of Broadwell CPUs, I don't think we'll see anything but a minor refresh until around this time next year. If you're even marginally happy with your 7-year-old computer, a late 2013 will make you ecstatic. I have a late 2012 iMac with a fusion drive, and it's much faster than the 2009 computer it replaced. The difference for you would be even greater. Regardless of what you think about the thin styling, Apple made a major improvement in cooling. My iMac barely gets warm to the touch.

Of course, you're the only one who can tell if you can afford a new computer.

stepaul8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Given the lengthening delay in Intel's release of Broadwell CPUs, I don't think we'll see anything but a minor refresh until around this time next year. If you're even marginally happy with your 7-year-old computer, a late 2013 will make you ecstatic. I have a late 2012 iMac with a fusion drive, and it's much faster than the 2009 computer it replaced. The difference for you would be even greater. Regardless of what you think about the thin styling, Apple made a major improvement in cooling. My iMac barely gets warm to the touch.

Of course, you're the only one who can tell if you can afford a new computer.

Yeah that's what I've been think about doing. Honestly, it doesn't matter how thin the iMac in my opinion because I will never be able to notice. Do you have any tips for buying an older iMac? Should I try to find one new or buy a used one? Thanks!

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
Yeah that's what I've been think about doing. Honestly, it doesn't matter how thin the iMac in my opinion because I will never be able to notice. Do you have any tips for buying an older iMac? Should I try to find one new or buy a used one? Thanks!

generally the refurbished macs are just ones that people have ordered, changed their mind and sent back so they are new in every respect but are just in plain packaging.

this one is the sweet spot for price/performance:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MS5LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-34ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7

it will beat all but the latest 2013 fully maxed iMac and even then isnt far behind....

stepaul8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks guys. I should mention that I am in high school and I will be using one for college. Is it worth it to just get a new one with a college discount of $200?

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I have the same machine as you. 2007 2.4 Core 2 Duo. 4 Gigs RAM. Last week upgraded to a 512GB SSD. This thing now smokes. So great.

I would milk your machine for all it's worth. I can run Photoshop, Indesign, etc with the best of them. Aperture works great too. Spend just a couple hundred bucks and do the upgrade yourself. So, so worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.