Is it time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JD92, Sep 4, 2011.

  1. JD92 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 14, 2005
    Hi folks,

    I think it might be reaching the time to upgrade my laptop. My 2009 Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro no longer reads DVDs, has a few scuffs on the screen and what looks like corrosion on the edges of the top case, and the trackpad has stopped registering clicks about 70% of the time when I click it.

    I could keep it for a while longer - I've had it for two years and three months (from new), and I know there's probably a redesigned model coming out next year - but what would you do? Would you upgrade just now? I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade before the new model comes out - the current line is a very mature product, whereas I've been very unlucky with brand new releases from Apple.

    Anyway, what are your thoughts?
  2. syan48306 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 15, 2010
    I know this isn't what you want to hear but I'd wait for the new model. As you said, you barely use the optical drive and you probably wont miss it in 2012. Unless it completely dies on you, just wait another several months for the new one.
  3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a


    May 3, 2011
    Perrysburg, OH
    If you NEED it and can't stand your current one now, get it now. At best, the new refresh is probably 6-8 months away at least. They could refresh in the next 2 months for a processor speed boost, but that's nothing to wait over. If you can afford it now and NEED it now, go for it now.
  4. Jrv macrumors regular

    Aug 17, 2011
    Long Beach, California
    Get a new computer when you need a new computer.

    Don't worry about new models. The currents models will do pretty much anything you need them to do.
  5. GrannySmiths macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2011
    I used to be one of these people that had to have the current model. I went through 3 iMacs in less than 2 years. Same with the iPhone.

    I stopped at the iPad because Apple have a great marketing tactic to get people to spend, spend, spend.

    It might be cheaper to get your current laptop fixed. I have one of the older iBooks in the cupboard with a 700MHz processor. It still runs the older version of Photoshop just fine and I sometimes use it for some Illustration work.

    If you need one, get one, but a 2009 model don't sound too dated to be honest. Unless you're upgrading software and need the new software such as (CS5, Logic Pro 8 etc.)
  6. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    You could get it fixed or wait until the Ivy Bridge MBPs, it's going to be a long wait if you do wait, I'm waiting, and I won't miss the optical drive.

Share This Page