Is it time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeM87, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey Guys,

I have a first gen iPad 32gb 3G and seeing as though this will not be supporting IOS6 and has also got quite slow am thinking of upgrading.

As i'm thinking of upgrading I would only be looking at the "New iPad" 16GB Wi-Fi.

My reasoning for this is that you can easily move media on and off the iPad and I dont need 3G anymore. We have Wi-Fi here at work and I also have it at home too.

I mainly use the iPad for watching videos and browsing the net, Facebook and Twitter. A side from the screen obviously being retina will I notice that the iPad is alot faster?

Thanks for any input on this :)

2. Star56 macrumors member

Yes. Going from a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 brings a significant increase in speed and responsiveness. I have two gen 1 ipads and my ipad 3 is leaps and bounds above them in performance.

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

How do you trade your current iPad in with Apple? I hear they offer a recycle option. Can this be done instore?

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

The price Apple offer is substantially lower than a local sale on eBay or Craigslist. Try offloading it to a friend first ;-)

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

If iOS 6 support is your main trigger, I'd suggest waiting until iOS 6 actually comes out - by which point the 4th-gen iPad would only be a couple months away, probably. So wait until the 4th-gen is out, IMO. Then depending on your budget, get that or get a reduced price 3rd-gen unit.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The new iPad is definitely faster than the first generation but not terribly faster, if at all, than the second generation.

I think your iPad still has some life in it -- so if you are going to wait for iOS6 you might as well wait for the 4th gen iPad as elistan suggested. It's a fairly safe bet that the next iPad will be significantly faster than the current model and will likely be thinner and lighter.

Before anyone responds to my post saying that the new iPad was just released and you'll always be waiting for the next update, blah blah blah--remember that the OP already has an iPad which can tide him over. In fact, first gens are still being sold directly from Apple so they aren't that outdated yet. Over and out.

7. mszpara macrumors regular

I think it's definitely time to upgrade. Everyone I know that went from 1st gen to 3rd was blown away.

8. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I have the first gen 16GB wifi iPad and will wait for the 4th gen iPad. I hope it will have the A6 quad core, faster battery to charge and maybe, maybe, USB 3.0 or thunderbolt.

The 3rd gen iPad is not that great. Awesome screen and quad core graphics, but next year you will be sorry for not waiting for the quad core. Plus, iPad 3rd gen will get iOS 6 and part of iOS 7. iOS 6 is underwhelming, so I prefer to buy the 4th gen iPad with iOS 6 preinstalled and get all of iOS 7, which I expect to be much better than 6.

I am perfectly happy with my 1st gen iPad. iOS 6 has nothing I really need for my iPad, so Im not missing anything great.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

You can just sell your ipad before the march 2013 keynote if u get the new one now

You will lose only $100

10. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Go to gazelle.com and see what your 1st gen is worth, or craigslist/ebay is your friend....minimize your upgrade cost by offsetting it with the old one.

It's not just faster, it is thinner, lighter, and the Retina display is incredible.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

He'll always have a 1st gen that can tide him over, but if he wants to sell his 1st gen, it'll be worth less by the time the 4th gen hits stores.

12. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I've been holding off upgrading my iPad 1. It always sort of worked, or so I thought. Then I bit the bullet and got a new one after finding out iOS 6 would only be for iPad 2 and above. It's surpassed my expectations and more! If you haven't played with an iPad 2 or 3 extensively, it's hard to experience the sheer difference in operation between the 1st generation and the 2nd/3rd generation.

You can actually keep tabs in Safari without reloading each page. Apps don't crash every other time you use it. Safari doesn't crash every time you go to The Verge or another heavy website. There is little to no lag when typing on the keyboard.

In other words, the new one is just a lot more usable. You can use it a bit like you use your computer: chat with a friend in an app, then swipe to Safari with 3 tabs open, all while playing music in the background. Simple tasks like that would crash my original iPad which relegated it to more a casual mobile browsing device. With the new one, I feel like I can legitimately use it for close to 100% of my casual computing.

O ya, that retina display is nice too.

13. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Or he could wait for iOS 7 in a few yrs and get iPad 5.:rolleyes:

14. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I have a gen1 32gb wifi and recently ordered a new 64gb wifi that should arrive tomorrow.

Airplay mirroring and the gorgeous screen for photos was reason enough for me to upgrade. I can see this model lasting a bit longer before i upgrade as is usually the case with later models vs gen1 hardware.

The only thing that is missing atm for me is aperture for iPad. Just a simple import and metadata control app would be enough.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

or the ipad 6! :rolleyes:

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

Nah, that's too long to wait - assuming a new iPad is released each March, it'll be 21 months until an iPad 5. Whereas an iPad 4 is only 9 months away. Still a bit of a wait, but considering the OP's stated reason for wanting a new iPad - iOS 6 support - and assuming an October release of iOS 6, it'd only be a six month wait. I guess in MacRumors Buyer's Guide parlance, at that point the recommendation would be "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle."

Personally, I tend to wait longer between consumer product refreshes than the typical enthusiast I guess, and my advice reflects such. Holding on to tech for at least three years works very well for me. I actually like four or five years if I can get away with it - ie, no security issues with unsupported products, or not missing out on nice functionality.

On the other hand, if iOS 6 really isn't the main focus - the Buyer's Guide states "Buy Now! Product just updated" for the retina iPad, and it's a noticeable upgrade over the iPad 1, so go for it. :)

17. tom123 macrumors regular

tom123

Wi-fi only

If you get the wi-fi only version of the iPad, will the new maps - turn by turn work?

18. stales33 macrumors newbie

I have a 1st Gen 32 gb wifi and just today picked up a gen 3 16gb wifi (best buy open box discount saved $50, but there is a little risk involved there). The screen and the smoothness have blown me away so far. Kindle books are a lot crisper, and videos and pictures pop off the screen. I upgraded because of IOS6 not being available on OG iPad, and the retina screen.

19. NateEssex macrumors 6502

I'm still with my original 64g 3G iPad 1 and am in the same boat. I've been trying to hold out myself. When did the iPad 3 come out last year? The 4 should be right around that timeframe I would think.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol i think you missed his sarcasm.

21. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

No.

Navigation on the iPad seems stupid to me anyway but each to their own. :)

22. elistan macrumors 6502a

Not at all - I was quite cognizant of his rolleyes. :) My first statement taking him serious was supposed to be my own bit of sarcasm. Guess it wasn't too obvious, sorry. Still, I did want to explain my sincerity in suggesting waiting until March next year (I assume) for the next iPad, since it sounds like the OP's iPad 1 is working fine for him, and he's mostly concerned about it not running iOS 6. By the time iOS 6 is actually released for iPad, I wouldn't be surprised if the MacRumors Buyer's Guide says at least "Neutral," if not an actual "Don't buy."

23. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

The difference between a bike and a car is less than the difference between iPad 1 and 3

24. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah I know what you mean, it's almost July now, so we're what... 8 months away from the 4th gen iPad.