Is it time???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dodgyken, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dodgyken macrumors newbie

I have been a PC user for quite a while - but now with a greater demand for video editting I am tempted by a Mac - specifically the mac pro as I already have a decent quality 20" display.

I will still want to dabble in the gaming area, so VMFusion or Parrellels will be installed. On top of that I use my machine for "normal" home uses - web, music etc.

My current machine is simply not powerful enough to start editting my track-day videos - which is an area I am keen to spend more time working on.

I am more than happy with the Leopard OS - after a lengthy demo in an Apple store and was very impressed with the other "i" programs installed.

I will purchase the machine through my company as I do need a machine on which I can work when required - some of which I will have to run on a VM.

Should I go down the Mac Pro road OR go for a high spec PC? Will the video side really make use of the 8-core? And how fast can I expect PC Games to run on a VM eg Age of Empires 3?

Is it worth the investment????

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Although they're getting better, VMWare and Parallels aren't the best choice for graphic intensive programs like games.

I think the general recommendation for most games is to use Boot Camp so that you get native speeds.

3. dodgyken thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks for that - I wasn't sure which way to go on emulation.

Compared to a top end Dell the Pro doesn't look that pricey. :eek:

4. chameleon macrumors regular

chameleon

Yes, it is time.

First, ditch the PC video programs and get yourself a copy of Final Cut Express. Unless you're a serious movie producer, this will be more than enough for you. iMovie might be a bit light for all your needs, but FCE is fantastic.

Really the selling point for the Mac Pro is speed. Render times for movies can be quite long. If time isn't a factor -- you're not on tight deadlines, you can let things render overnight, etc -- then an iMac may be all you need and the price is right. Use the existing 20" monitor as a 2nd display, and off you go.

If speed is a major factor, then the Mac Pro is worth every penny. It's a beast.

Welcome to the dark side...

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

even the now previous generation Mac Pros are super sweet. I really like the quad core configuration of the new Mac Pro. Also the video options are better, which would be good for you gaming. Also don't think of running windows as "emulating" Windows will run natively on the mac therefor you will get all the benefits of running it on a PC> I do agree that for the games you may want to stick with bootcamp. I myself use VMWare, but then again I don't do any gaming.

Get a Mac Pro and have yourself some fun:D