Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Long story short, I read an article listing Apple’s updated repair prices, and wow.

So, I pre-ordered and purchased outright an XS 256 GB and passed on the Apple Care option at that time.

I’m obviously not going to mess with my preorder at this point less I risk my day 1 delivery. I plan on keeping this phone at least two years, so I’m thinking it might be prudent to get given I paid for the phone 100% up front and will keep it at least for two years.

Can I still purchase Apple Care at this point, and if so, how?

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Apple.com said you can add AppleCare+ within 60 days of your iPhone purchase.

3ce5b04a0643529062f9e4a820f41018.png

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Just FYI I think they changed the policy. Now it’s within 60 days to add AppleCare+ for Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Curious, is it possible to but Applecare straight from Apple US but with an iPhone purchased overseas?
Basically, is the country of purchase of Applecare independent of the country of origin of the device? I mean the coverage is international anyway, so I wouldn't think it's an issue, but I'm curious for those who tried purchasing Applecare online straight from Apple in this method.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Curious, is it possible to but Applecare straight from Apple US but with an iPhone purchased overseas?
Basically, is the country of purchase of Applecare independent of the country of origin of the device? I mean the coverage is international anyway, so I wouldn't think it's an issue, but I'm curious for those who tried purchasing Applecare online straight from Apple in this method.

All unlocked iPhone purchased anywhere has limited 1 year international warranty. It is possible to purchase AppleCare for that device if your serial number is Eligible using the link, https://checkcoverage.apple.com/. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to contact Apple to reach their Agreement team which deals with AppleCare at 1-800-275-2273

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
You may have to take it to an apple store to buy the coverage, but others have said you have a few weeks minimum (not sure 30 or 60 days) to buy Applecare.

I believe the reason you have to take it to the store is so they can inspect it.

TxExCxH

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
Chicago
You may have to take it to an apple store to buy the coverage, but others have said you have a few weeks minimum (not sure 30 or 60 days) to buy Applecare.

I believe the reason you have to take it to the store is so they can inspect it.

They run a diagnostic check over the air so you dont have to bring it in to the store. I know because I waited to purchase AppleCare for my iPhone X and they ran the test to check if I had dropped it the tech said. Crazy I know.

Last edited:

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
They run a diagnostic check over the air so you doing have to bring it in to the store. I know because I waited to purchase AppleCare for my iPhone X and they ran the test to check if I had dropped it the tech said. Crazy I know.

Good to know! Just a few years ago I had to go to the store. Very nice you don't have to do that anymore.

Reactions: TxExCxH

starbucks1222

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Antioch, CA
Anyone else getting an error when trying to do AppleCare via the website or on mobile? Of course over the phone they do not have the option to do the monthly lost and theft plan, only paid in full....

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

Yes. I have done it twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.